12 June 2021

Saturday Sampler: Stash Update Edition

Been a while since we've had a Saturday Sampler. Settle in with a cup of tea and prepare to be enabled! I've been shopping!

So if you're here a lot, you know that over the last few years much of what I've been stitching has been purchased from Etsy. I love the easy access to a variety of styles from designers all over the world, and I particularly like being able to purchase from brand new American designers who I otherwise wouldn't know about because of the challenges of breaking into the American market. For me, there is a "sameness" in a lot of what comes out of the American market, and I really enjoy having a place to go where I can stumble across something beautiful designed by someone in Siberia (yes, there's a Siberian designer on Etsy).

Having said all that, I do still buy and stitch the kind of stuff that arrives in the local LNS, just much less than I used to. So when I buy 3 or 4 new charts (that I didn't download and print myself!), that's exciting and counts as a spree! Here is my recent, rare, non-Etsy chart spree! (Four whole charts and a wee kit; prepare to be amazed at my recklessness.)

First up, a pretty summer design from With Thy Needle & Thread. She's one of the designers I have stitched several designs from, and keep an eye on for new stuff. I don't really have many patriotic designs or finishes. I'm not sure why, but perhaps it's because we're military and our whole life is kinda redwhiteandblue, so I don't really feel a need to stitch it? I don't know. But I liked this little bird, and I liked the colors, and here she is. This chart is a bit pricey as it comes with the strip of alphabet linen shown, for finishing. When I stitch this, I won't finish it this way, but I will figure out a way to use that linen. It's neat.


I do have a nice collection of LHN charts, including the entire Hometown Holiday series, of which I have stitched... one. (hangs head in shame) I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan that buys everything she designs, but every now and then there's something that just grabs me. I love the Sleepy Hollow legend for its place in American folklore and I was delighted to see this latest release. I do think when I stitch this that I'll intensify a few of the colors. It might just be the photography, but it looks a bit washed out in places.  I love it anyway.

Oh, Redbird Designs. These hold a special place in my heart. This is a Texas designer who keeps the lowest of low profiles, no social media whatsoever as far as I know. Her designs are not widely available. In fact, the only place I know of to find them is this shop in Texas. (If any of y'all know of other sources, let me know in the comments, please!) Years ago, with the help of fellow stitchers around the country, I created a Redbird Designs Catalog for fellow fans to keep track of her designs, and what was in print/out of print. Anyway, here are a couple of new-to-me designs I had to have. I don't know how long they've been out and just happened upon them while looking for something else. There can never be enough Texas wildflowers! (Check out my Texas stitches!) These are testing my commitment to only stitch WIPs this summer!

And finally, a wee fox kit! I haven't done many of these little Mill Hill kits, but I always enjoy them when I do. The last ones I did were these Halloween lanterns from last summer. They're fun and they always turn out so cute. I will be doing a bit of a re-design on the face, though, as I'd like him to look a little more like a real fox.

I also treated myself to a new pair of scissors to celebrate my Summer of the WIP. I did the same last year for Summer of Halloween, so maybe I've created a new tradition. This beautiful tartan pair is from this Etsy shop, but I think they can be found elsewhere by searching the brand Premax (Italy). These are nice scissors that snip very well at the tips, and they also come in blue and green.

My goodness, I'm rambling today. You can take a break if you need to. I'll still be going when you get back.

And here's a $6 impulse buy from Hobby Lobby. I think these are so pretty and warm weathery. They cut alright, not amazing at the tips, but for $6 they're fine. And pretty.

So, the fabric. I can just hear people who are looking at these pictures saying, "What is that fabric that chart is lying on? What is that fabric the scissors are on?" I can hear this, because I do it, too. Fabric is so important to our happiness. Which, by the way, have y'all noticed that hand-dyed fabric is still really hit or miss, supply wise? A lot of the dyers are weeks or even months behind and have messages on their websites explaining the challenges of getting certain fabrics and dyes. I'm reiterating my pandemic advice about fabrics and threads: if you need it, and you see it available (dyed and ready to ship), snap it up. It may disappear and not be available again for months. Taking my own advice, I stocked up on some of my favorite neutrals and tossed in a wild card as well. That's the flowery 32 count even weave here. This was also a Hobby Lobby impulse buy (it was that kind of day). This is their Artiste brand, but it's made in Germany by Zweigart so I figured the quality would be good. I haven't stitched on it, but I did count threads-per-inch both ways and it's correct. I think it will be pretty for a spring design. The other fabrics here are, left to right, PTP Legacy, PTP Wren, and Flax (Zweigart, I think).

Top to bottom: Legacy, Wren, Flax

Sneak peek! This is the first WIP I'll be tackling for Summer of the WIP when I finish my spring Quaker. Isn't she lovely? More on her soon.

Bonus Tiger Lily! Sitting on her side of the bathroom sink (yes, she has her own sink), admiring her floof. 

If anyone is still with me after all that, I hope you enjoyed browsing the new stash and maybe even finding something you need. Stitching is such a comfort and even something so small as a new chart, or a new tool, or a new piece of fabric can really lift our spirits. I highly recommend treating yourself to a little something soon.

Happy Stitching!

9 comments:

  1. Oh now you've made me want to shop and I just can't do that right now. I have way too many WIPs and other projects queued up. Love those fabrics. Great new projects, but I thought this is the summer of WIPs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally enjoyed reading and viewing today's post, Honeybee! As always, thank you for the inspiration, the links, and the joy of stitching you bring through your posts. Gorgeous fabrics and yes, I was going to ask. Nice looking plaid scissors! Looking forward to seeing your Fox WIP grow. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOve the scissors! I was going to stop at a LNS this afternoon but my meeting ran late so I didn't have the time to spare. Maybe I can sneak out this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honeybee: I love this post, I just bought Happy Birthday America it is my next project.
    I am so jealous of all your new stash, the plaid scissors are a hoot, the fox is adorable.
    Thank-you for the links, I have many friends that live in Texas and I see one I need to stitch for myself.
    I did not know Hobby Lobby carried that kind of fabric, i will check them out on my next visit.
    As for that adorable Tiger Lily, she is beautiful, Blondie The cat sits on the vanity when I brush my teeth in the morning and when I am putting on and taking off my make-up.
    Have a lovely day

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  5. You find the coolest things on Etsy, thanks for all of the links you post.
    What great stash you found.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great choices. Scissors are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet treats! I especially like those plaid scissors... and now I must head out to Hobby Lobby for some of that fabric! :-) The dot fabric never enticed me... but those ditsy daisies? Cute! I have a bird design that would look perfect on it too... And, Tiger Lily... what a glamorous gal! :-) Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun post! I thoroughly enjoyed reading all about your new stash. You've found some lovely patterns and I love your new scissors, too. I look forward to seeing your progress on your WIP's this summer. I also always love seeing Tiger Lily- she's a beauty. Enjoy your stitching!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great new stash! I don't often buy new charts on impulse but it is fun when I do!
    Good idea about the fabric too. I have quite a good stash but there's always one colour not in the right count for the project.

    ReplyDelete