12 January 2015

Needle Minder Mania!

I've been gluing my fingers together again! A while back, I posted pictures of some needle minders I made out of old costume jewelry. I was pretty happy with how they turned out, so I decided to make some more. Because I need a needle minder to match every project. I couldn't care less about shoes for every outfit, but needle minders are another story.

This time I raided the jewelry-making section of Michael's and picked up a few charms. This first one is my favorite, even though I was hoping to find something more like a tiny picture frame with flat glass. I'm pretty sure Hobby Lobby has them, but I'll have to wait until later in the week to check. I can always make more... especially of the Stitchy Supervisor!

A Tiger Lily needle minder!

Here's what they look like unassembled. I used a tiny amount of super glue on the tip of a toothpick and dotted it around the edges to assemble the pieces. I also used pliers to remove the loop.

Sometimes you can't remove the loop without damaging the charm, and in that case you can just glue on a little bead or a flat-backed crystal, as I did with these next two, a Celtic knot and a bird's nest.


This last one was an experiment, just to see if it would work. I found this tiny teacup in the miniature section and hot-glued magnets to the bottom (the super glue wouldn't bond to the ceramic). I think it's charming!

Public Service Announcement: nail polish remover with acetone will remove super glue from skin. News you can use!

8 comments:

  1. My favorite is Tiger Lily, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that tiny teacup!
    I didn't know that about the nail polish remover. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fabulous needle minders you have created! The cup/saucer/spoon is adorable and the one with your Stitching Supervisor is priceless.

    Robin in Virginia

    PS Thanks for the tip about the nail polish remover.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been wanting to make some needle minders for some time.
    Yours are delightful! Did the 'bird nest' also come from Michael's? It's
    my favorite and I would like to make one.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise, yes, the bird's nest came from Michael's, but it was on clearance so it may be difficult to find. Good luck!

      Delete
  5. I just love the little tea/coffee cup and spoon needle holder. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi HB,
    Those are adorable!! I saw your first post about them but was too embarrassed to ask what a "needle minder" was. Ha. Now it's ALL clear! Love the Tiger Lily one and the tea cup.

    ReplyDelete