29 January 2020

Forest Tale


 Another winter finish! Isn't this a lovely and unique little design? This is called Forest Tale and it's available in this Etsy shop along with lots of other wee bottles with all kinds of things in them--something for everyone. I stitched mine on 28 ct. Cornflower Blue Jobelan and it finished up at 1 1/4" wide by 3 3/4" high. I stayed pretty close to the recommended colors, except that I did tone the greens down a bit, and instead of black for the backstitching, I used DMC 938 for the fox and cork, and DMC 04 for the bottle. I wanted a softer look than the black created.


Here's a tip for stitching on really small, odd-sized scraps of fabric. I try to be frugal with my fabric usage and I save even the smallest scraps. Since I stitch a lot of small things, they're always coming in handy. I have a couple of strong preferences about the way I stitch that I never depart from:

1: I never stitch in-hand. I like my fabric nice and taut. For me, having the fabric taut is key to making pretty stitches that lie smoothly, and to getting backstitching to lie where I want it. I also really dislike handling my fabric that much. I iron my fabric before I put it on the q-snaps, and I don't wash finished projects. Which leads me to my next "never"...

2: I never place q-snap clamps or hoops over any of my stitches. I like to have the entire design fit within the q-snap or hoop. This way, when I take the finished project off the q-snaps, it's ready to finish or frame. No washing or ironing required.

Now, on an oddly-shaped, very small scrap of fabric like this, it's hard to accommodate those preferences. The fabric is too small to fit normally in a 6" q-snap (the smallest). The design is too large to fit "un-smooshed" into a 3" hoop. The fabric is too narrow to be grasped properly all the way around by a 4" hoop so it can't be held taut. Whatever to do? 

This:

I always use strips of white felt (with glitter, thank you very much) under my q-snap clamps to keep my fabric as taut as possible. It also helps to grasp smaller pieces of fabric. Turned corner to corner and clamped with felt, this scrap of fabric is held tightly enough, even along the edges that aren't under the clamps. I figured this out some time ago but never remembered to share. It's not especially clever, it's just one of those things that you don't think about until you've run into a scrap of fabric that just won't cooperate. So there's a little tip for the 3 or 4 of you out there who share my particular combination of likes and dislikes!

One of these days, I'll tell y'all about my reaction to watching a video of someone stitching in-hand using the sewing method. I had to avert my eyes! *snort*

Stay cozy and Happy Stitching, all (no matter how you stitch)!

16 comments:

  1. Bardzo piękny haft, mnie też podobają sie te buteleczki, dziękuję tez za wszystkie rady dotyczące szycia.😁

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a precious fox you stitched up, Honeybee! Thank you for the tip about scraps of fabric and q-snap usage. I can't stitch in-hand any longer with the exception of perforated paper so I am going to try your tip. Are you all still snowed in? Happy Stitching to you as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've still got quite a bit on the ground, but it's supposed to be a really nice weekend (up in the 40s!) so we'll get a good bit of melting.

      Delete
  3. I always mount my small pieces of fabric onto a piece of cotton to frame them if you like, then I know they will always fit into my hoop, and like you, I have to have my fabric drum tight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your tip of using the felt as an extra layer to hold it all still in the Q snaps. I sometimes do stitch in hand and sometimes use a Q snap, it honestly depends on the kind of fabric, the size of design, and how I am feeling. This little design is just perfect for your Copper Fox blog. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute, unique design.
    I stitch in hand, but so not use the sewing method.
    I think it bunches up your stitches too much & doesn't look nice.
    And, I always wonder why some people stitch from bottom up, what is the advantage?
    I've asked several places, but don't seem to get an answer.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marilyn, the reason is that when you stitch from the bottom up, you're always bringing your needle up in an empty hole and putting it down through a hole with a stitch already in it, and it disturbs the existing stitches less than if you were stitching top to bottom and bringing your needle up in a whole where there is already a stitch. However, it all depends on how you construct your stitches. If you stitch the legs from bottom corner to top corner, stitching top to bottom works (come up in an empty hole, go down through a filled one). But if you stitch the legs from top corner to bottom corner--as I do--stitching bottom to top works. Does that make sense?

      Delete
  6. Do you remove your Q snaps when you are finished stitching for the day, but you are not finished with the piece? I get horrible wrinkles that are difficult to remove.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane! I don't remove my q-snaps and I've never had trouble with wrinkles. The longest I've left them on was about 2 years on a large project. As I mentioned, I don't clamp over my stitching as I prefer the entire design area to be within the q-snap frame, and I use felt strips under the clamps, which are only clamping the margin fabric anyway. Are you putting the clamps over your stitches?

      Delete
  7. What a pretty and unusual design! You've found some lovely patterns on Etsy, it's so fun to spend time looking there. Thank you for your tips about using a frame with smaller pieces of fabric- I prefer the fabric to be taut as well, but haven't always been able to manage it. I'll definitely give this a try! Hope you're having a great week, and enjoy the (bit) warmer weather!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am just like you...FRUGAL WITH MY SCRAPS! I never considered this! And I constantly stitch on small linen. Thank you!! :) This is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your tip. I've never thought to turn it like that. I hate stitching in hand as well. I need my fabric tight. I just normally use pieces that are way too big so they fit. Love the design too. Of course I had to follow the link. The lighthouse in the bottle is so something I could see myself stitching. Thanks for the enabling.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this pattern and some of the others too. The dragon and the purple sky with the moon really attract me.
    I stitch everything in hand! Even my Chatelaine is being stitched in hand. But not the sewing method.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yep, yep, and yep to all your likes and dislikes. If I have a small piece of fabric that won't work on anything I have, I'll stitch in hand but I also like my fabric taut. When it's not, I feel my stitches are loose. I really like your answer to that dilemma! Thanks! Yeah, I just can't stitch the sewing method. Nope.

    ReplyDelete