16 January 2021

Saturday Sampler: Winter Light Edition

If you've ever tried to photograph your needlework and achieve true fabric and thread color, you know how challenging it can be. May I recommend a blizzard for perfect lighting conditions? A blizzard provides ideal white light (white sky, white ground, white everything), so next time you need to do some stitchy photography, just dial one up.

This is my first finish of the year: Candy Cane Wishes by With Thy Needle & Thread, stitched on 28 ct. Mint linen. I used a Smyrna stitch (see my previous post) for the eyes and the holly berries, and GAST Picket Fence instead of the called-for Weeks Linen, and DMC 945 for his cheeks since it's only a few stitches. I also gave my snowman a happy little grin.



I've mentioned before that I'm slowly building my Cosmo stash. I'm so blessed to have a local quilt shop where I can just walk in and buy it (never had that before). Last spring I did a whole post about Cosmo threads and wrote about what I think is the major difference between Cosmo and DMC: the beautifully smooth, subtle transitions in color families. In that post, I had to use my Cosmo color card to illustrate my point, but I recently bought a nice handful of colors and can show you using full skeins. Look at how gorgeous! (Thank you, Mr. Blizzard.)





That post I linked also has some links to online shops that carry Cosmo threads, in case you now find yourself unable to go on unless you start your own collection. I know the feeling.

I also hit a post-Christmas sale at one of the Etsy shops where I have found very cute polymer clay needle minders.

Speaking of winter light, I have a new project ready to go on a lovely, sparkly, frosty fabric called Winter Winds. I think this is from Silkweaver, but I know nothing else about it, like whether it's still available. This is the only piece of Silkweaver fabric I own and I bought it at a shop in Virginia years and years ago. Yes, that's a biscuit counting pin. Biscuits are important.

I hit a snag with my Winter is Coming Quaker. One of the colors, GAST Garden Gate, is just not going to work. The color is used in the vase on the left border, the candlestick, the large center motif along the bottom, and the large motif on the right border. If you look closely at the pictures of the model, you can see the skein used has muted shades of grey-brown, beige, blue, and even a bit of olive. My skein is a flat, dark brown. I ordered additional skeins from two other shops, hoping to get a different dye lot, but nope. Flat, dark brown. Boooo. So I set to work trying to choose an alternative. Trying to choose colors online is the worst, but what can we do? I finally settled on GAST Fisherman's Wharf. In the photo below, the candlestick is stitched with GAST Garden Gate. You can see how dark it is, and how dark it would make the sampler. 

GAST Fisherman's Wharf has some brown, some blue, and some green, though more intense than what's used in the model. Will it work? No idea. I'll put in a couple of the smaller motifs and see what I think. I may have to take it out. Watch this space.

And finally, I made Tiger Lily a blanket fort, because blanket forts are awesome and honestly, why do we stop making them when we grow up? Now I want one.


That's the latest from the snowy Great Plains. Thank you to those who continue to offer kind words and prayers about my dad. He's still in a nursing facility and making progress, very slowly. He has also had his first dose of the vaccine, which is such a blessing in all of this. 

Happy Stitching, y'all!

13 comments:

  1. Candy Cane Wishes is super precious! I am so glad your Dad got his first shot. :)
    We make blanket forts for Cally too.
    Have a stitchtastic weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Candy Cane wishes .
    Hope your father gets better soon and you can get together .
    How cute Cally looks in her new den .
    Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the sweet snowman, it is a very gentle design as I find some Christmas designs rather too bright.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love working with Cosmo Thread. Now I only use DMC in an Artecy or HAED charts. Everything is done with Anchor or Cosmo. Hoping your dad recovers soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fabulous pictures of the Cosmo Threads you provided, Honeybee! Is there a Cosmo Variegated that could be used for the Garden Gate or Fisherman's Wharf thread? Perhaps a DMC variegated? Well done on your Candy Cane Wishes finish! Continuing to pray for your Dad; glad to hear he is making progress. Miss Tiger Lily looks like she loves her blanket fort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a variegated Cosmo that I'm going to try also. It's also browns/blues/greens but is much more muted than Fisherman's Wharf. Fingers crossed!

      Delete
  6. Oh my goodness, I don't know where to start! Love seeing Tiger Lily all cuddled up! Makes me want to join her :) The biscuit counting pin is too darn cute and so is your snowman!! Thank you for sharing the photos of the Cosmos threads - seems like they are growing in popularity. Keeping you and your father & family in my prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute finish, & pretty floss & needleminders.
    I hope you can find a good alternative floss for your Quaker.
    The dye lots have changed on them all so drastically.
    Some aren't even close to the older ones.
    Tiger Lily looks content in her fort!
    Continued prayers for your Dad.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a constant struggle to get the colours right in photographs! Sometimes my iPad works better than my camera.
    You certainly got Candy Cane Wishes to look perfect.
    Dyelots are another struggle! I don't know why they change SO much. Hope you can find the right thread. The Cosmo do look beautiful together. They would be beautiful for Needle Painting in Embroidery.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your finish of Candy Cane Wishes, and that's such pretty fabric too. Thank you for the photo of all the beautiful Cosmo threads- I really hope to try these soon. I hope you find a good thread for Winter is Coming, it's such a lovely design. Tiger Lily looks very content in her blanket fort. I'm glad to hear positive news about your Dad's recovery, and that's wonderful he's had the first dose of the vaccine, that really is a blessing. Continued prayers for your Dad. Take care.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Candy Cane Wishes is so pretty, and so is Tiger Lilly! I drape a throw on the seats of my couch and let it fall to the carpeted floor. It's like a fabric lean-to! My cats play inside or sleep in it. Good luck finding a good substitute for Garden Gate. I'm having trouble finding GAST Brethren Blue! Ugh. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked all my sources for you and it's sold out everywhere. How frustrating. :O(

      Delete
  11. Tiger Lily looks so cozy--wish I could have a little hideaway like that on these cold winter's days! Love your new finish--that one is on my 'must stitch' list, too. Great that your dad got his first dose of the vaccine. Now that PA has opened things up to 65+, I am getting my first dose tomorrow... I feel very blessed and hopeful!

    ReplyDelete