12 February 2021

Winter is Coming Mini Quaker

 

I've had this finished for a while and have had it propped up in my sewing room so I can observe it and decide how I feel about it. Oh my goodness, I had such a time trying to find a substitute for GAST Garden Gate. The skein used in the model is lovely and my (three!) skeins were... not. The color in the model (used for the vase, candlestick, bottom center motif, right border motif) is subtle shades of beige, blue, and olive. My skeins are the color of mud. I searched high and low for a substitute, tried several, and settled on GAST Fisherman's Wharf. It's darker than I wanted, but the other choices were too pale or too bright. They were prettier colors, but in the end, I went with the more subdued color as I thought it would blend better. 



I'm still not sure how I feel about this finish. I wanted to love it but that color not being quite right just bugs me. I may end up ripping it out and trying something else, but for now, I'm calling it a finish. 

This is the companion piece to Autumn is Coming Mini Quaker. Can Spring be far behind?

21 comments:

  1. What a beautiful Winter Quaker, Honeybee! Will she be doing a spring Quaker? Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I think that it looks stunning the way it is and that you have no need to rip anything out - it is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I think it looks good, but I know what you mean about a color not being quite right and bugging you. When I saw the color on the original that you were looking for, the first thread I thought of was Gentle Art Corduroys (an exclusive colorway for StitchyBox) https://shop.stitchybox.com/products/corduroys-stitchybox-exclusive-gentle-arts-colorway?_pos=1&_sid=826735ead&_ss=r
    I have a skein of it and it doesn't have much of the beige that is showing in their picture, but it does have more olive. Just a thought if you decide to look for another thread.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion, Lori! I'll check it out.

      Delete
    2. I just saw a flosstuber showing a monochromatic design in DMC 4000 Espresso. Here's a good picture https://www.etsy.com/listing/127795769/dmc-4000-variegated-embroidery-floss
      I thought of you when I saw that color. I hope you find a substitution that makes you happy with this lovely piece.
      Lori

      Delete
    3. I think that may have been one of the ones I tried, but I'll double check. Thank you so much!

      Delete
  4. Love your stitching , if you find the right frame it will look wonderful.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it looks good.
    Such a pretty design.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a beautiful design and the colour looks fine to me. But i haven't seen the model photo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your finish looks lovely (and I love this design) but I understand how frustrating it can be to not find the exact color you were imagining. Maybe after living with it for awhile you'll come to like it (or decide it needs to be changed!) I hope a spring design is coming soon! Hope you're having a relaxing weekend!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! Fingers crossed for Spring is Coming Mini Quaker!

      Delete
  8. Oh Honeybee, I think it looks beautiful. I understand about how we want it to be as we imagine. I think it is a lovely design.
    Kay.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've admired that design on Etsy because of the colors so I do understand how you feel. Working with overdyeds is so frustrating for me sometimes, I think that's why, when I need comfort stitching, I always pick something with good old reliable DMC. That being said--it is still a lovely finish! Hope you had a wonderful Valentine's Day and I hope your dad is doing well with his rehabilation ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think your piece is lovely! I understand the "doubt" but trust me, it is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm getting ready to put my first stitch into this pattern. I had to change out the lighter color, I think it was Gingersnap,for a more whiter light color because Gingersnap got lost in my chosen fabric. I'm gonna have to see how my Garden gate works out. Yours is beautiful though!

    ReplyDelete