12 January 2023

Back to Stitching

 


For the last three months of 2022, our home was pretty much a kitty intensive care unit and there was zero stitching happening. I can't remember the last time I went that long without stitching, but thankfully we've gotten through that trial and I'm back to my needlework. I managed to get Mr. Wonderful's Christmas ornament stitched when we were in Texas, and I've just finished mine, this glorious little Chunkadee. Not only is he adorably chunky, I also stitched him on 25 count fabric over two, so the stitches are extremely chunky. Thus, Chunkadee. The design is from this leaflet and the Zweigart fabric is from a Lithuanian shop on Etsy. At the time I purchased this fabric, I had searched for a US source and was unable to find one. There may be one now, as I've had the fabric for some time, but I've had good service from this seller and they carry a lot of Zweigart fabric that's hard to get here. As y'all know, I'm a huge fan of this speckled fabric, especially the dark grey. Mr. Wonderful's owl ornament is from this Etsy shop, but be aware--unless it's been corrected--the chart does not match the model. I didn't realize that until I had already completed the owl, and I was stitching him over one, so I decided to press on and stitch him as charted, but I did prefer the model version. Anyway, these are our 2022 ornaments. When the finishing will be done is anybody's guess. Last year's aren't finished either. *sigh*


I also started Winter Sampler, which I showed in my last post. First block is a lovely wee fox. Of course I had to stitch him first. This is stitched on 28 ct. Pewter Jubilee. I'm not sure whether or not Jubilee is still made anymore; this piece came from my stash.

And lastly, a small personal triumph. I finally finished Blackberry Lane's Let It Snow. I started this way back in 2016 and decided I didn't like the way the over one snowflakes looked, so I put it away. I finally figured out at some point over the last few years that for me, the one strand over one thread method was the problem. I've stitched with one strand over one on 40 ct. and it looked fine, but on 28 ct. I prefer 2 strands in sparsely stitched areas, like snowflakes. I know, I know. This is a stitching no-no. I don't care. I like fat stitches. Once I switched to 2 strands, I was much happier with my snowflakes. Fully stitched areas, like the birds, work fine with one strand.


This is stitched on the recommended PTP Stellar, which I don't think they make anymore. It's a shame, as it's such a beautiful blue (and that's from someone who's not crazy about blue). I've read dyers are no longer able to get certain dyes anymore, particularly ones used for some blues. Anyway, this is a loose interpretation of this design, as I didn't do a number of things suggested, but after all these years, it's finished and I'm happy with it and I'm proud of myself for finally getting it done. Good job, me.

In addition to Winter Sampler, I've also just started my next Year of Winter project. Stay tuned for a peek of that pretty soon. It's good to be back at the needle.

Happy Stitching!



12 comments:

  1. It is funny. I have always stitched 2 strands over 28 count. I like all of your stitching. I hope you finish those ornaments in time for hanging next year. It would be a shame not to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honeybee: The chickadee is adorable, I am loving the owl what a sweet design.
    I like the fox looking forward to seeing the progress on Winter Sampler the fox face is so cute.
    Let it snow you chose the perfect fabric, I am so disapointed that some fabric dyers cannot get the dyes they need.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Chickadee , also well done on the snowman stitch , the fox and owl stitching looks great on 28 count , I also like the chunky effect .
    Have a fun day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great stitches! Glad to see you are stitching again.
    Both ornaments are so pretty, but, I love the little Chickadee.
    I think they & the Juncos are my favorites.
    Love to listen to their chatter, & they have soooo much energy!
    The Blackberry piece is awesome!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job on finishing that cross stitch! It’s nice to get a finish on something that’s been hanging around! Glad to see you back stitching.
    Darlene N

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful assortment of finishes you shared, Honeybee! I love the bird ornaments you stitched for Mr. Wonderful and yourself. The fox is precious. You are right, they don't make 28-count Jubilee anymore. But they have brought 27-count Linda fabric back (it reminds me of the 28-count Jubilee and the old (as in original) 28-count Monaco). Your snowman is darling. I'm with you on the sparseness (I don't like it) in less dense areas. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your kitten babies are beautiful! You've done a wonderful job with them. Love your pix!
    Hope you will get more stitching time now. It isn't a race - we stitch because we love it. Make sure you love it when you stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's lovely to see all your stitches! That little chickadee is so cute. It's nice that you've been able to get back to stitching again. Hope your kitties are doing well, and you're having a good weekend!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your Chunkadee and the little Owl. I checked out the shop and there is quite a difference between their model and your stitched version.
    The fox is very sweet too. Looking forward to your Year of Winter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Let it Snow piece is gorgeous! I’ve always liked that designer, but most looked like too much over one for me. I have some fabric that will work, so I will order the chart and give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been cross stitching for decades!!! With the mantra the 'back should look as good as the front' etc. But for the life of me I can't seem to make my stitches look perfect and even and singular, if that makes sense. What is your secret? I use a hoop, thread conditioner, good linen and threads. ????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll do a post about it soon so keep an eye out for it! :O)

      Delete