23 October 2017

Homemade Thread Winder

I don't have much use for thread winders. I don't--or didn't--even own one. I keep my DMC on bobbins and I keep all my other (cotton) threads in baggies. I hardly ever stitch with silk, but I had to buy a skein for Playing with Jax. I've found that while cotton skeins behave themselves very nicely, skeins of silk, when freed from their pretty little twist, end up a mess.  I needed a thread winder. So I made one. Couldn't be easier.

Cookie cutter, paper, mat board, and Multi Medium Matte. (If you don't know what this is, you can read about the joys of MMM here in this post.

Trace around the cookie cutter on both the paper and a piece of mat board. Cut them out and glue them together using the Multi Medium Matte.

When that has dried completely (I let it sit overnight), seal it with another coat of MMM.

Allow it to dry completely. Here you can see the finished, sealed texture.

And here's the finished thread winder. 

Use your favorite cookie cutter and your prettiest paper. The possibilities are endless! How about a gingerbread man thread winder and a skein of holiday thread? Pretty cute little stocking stuffer for your favorite stitching buddy. 




4 comments:

  1. What a great idea, Honeybee! Your fox thread winder is very cute. Thank you for sharing your creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is genius! So cute! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute & clever. Such a good idea to use that material.
    Some time ago I drew up a Halloween icon for a thread Holder. My DH cut it out from a similar sort of material & I included them in parcels to exchange partners.
    I didn't think to use a paper cover, great thought if I ever do that again, thanks Honeybee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love coming back to your blog time and time again to try these wonderful ideas - thanks for being so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete