20 October 2017

Playing with Jax Update: Forest Pumpkin

A while back, in this post, I talked about stitching CEC's Playing with Jax using the alternative center pumpkin "Forest Pumpkin" that was offered as a freebie around the time Playing with Jax was published. I scoured the interwebs for a picture of it stitched, but couldn't find one. I don't understand why, because I think it's really pretty. Here it is:

I'm stitching on 28 ct. Carmel Macchiato from Hand Dyed Fabrics by Stephanie. I've only made a couple of small color changes to this pumpkin: 1) DMC 3042 instead of 927, and 2) DMC 3011 instead of 3022. The main change I made was in how I stitched the leaves that called for Silk 'N Colors Autumn Bouquet (#983). 

I've mentioned before that when stitching with hand dyed threads, I'm not a big fan of the "cross-each-stitch-as-you-go rule" (though I do use it occasionally). Here's an example of why. The leaf on the right is stitched following this "rule" and the leaf on the left is stitched using the "mismatched" method I described in this post. (Please pardon the lighting of this shot; I was stitching at night and snapped a quick picture before frogging and re-stitching the leaf on the right.)

If you like the stripey, rainbow-look of the leaf on the right, then absolutely cross each stitch as you go. Do what makes you happy with your stitching. That's what I did! I like the look of the mismatched method for lots of things, and I think it's especially good for things like trees, leaves, and animal fur. In this shot you should be able to see the "four-color" stitches that this method produces. It creates a nice wash of color, with lots of texture.

One more shot I thought I'd share. There's always a lot of discussion among stitchers about photographs of needlework not being correct color-wise. If you've never tried to get true color photographs of needlework, let me tell you, it's not easy. If you look at the four pictures in this post, the fabric looks different in each picture. Pictures 1, 3, and 4 were taken in exactly the same spot by a window, and they all look different. The other problem? Picture 3 is the best representation of the thread colors, but picture 4 is the best representation of the fabric color. See the difficulty? Now imagine trying to get all the colors of both threads and fabric adjusted so they're all true on a computer monitor, and then getting that picture printed correctly for a chart, which is a totally different color process. 

I had intended to start this project at the beginning of October, but I'm about two weeks behind. Busy times at the Wonderful household, but more on that later. One hint: "unsupervised." 

18 comments:

  1. I love your pumpkin, Honeybee and your "mismatched" stitching. I also want to add that I love your fabric color. How do you like the fabric by Stephanie? Hmm, an "unsupervised" Honeybee! I look forward to reading about that down the road. Enjoy your Friday and the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, I like this fabric. This is the second time I've used her fabric, the first being my Judith Kirby Victorian House #9 finish. The mottling on her fabrics has a smoother, less "wrinkly" look than PTP fabric. But it can be a bit of a wait. I think my last order took 5 weeks.

      Delete
  2. Lovely coloured thread work.
    Unsupervised? Can't wait to hear? :):)
    K.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely gorgeous stitching!! Also, how do you get your tension so even? You stitch so beautifully!!!

    Laura
    WA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laura. I think the key to even tension, at least for me, is to have my fabric stretched nice and tight. And also to remember that there is no need to pull on the thread. Think of it as laying the thread onto the fabric. A soft tug, to make sure the stitch lays flat, is all you need. No pulling. :O)

      I also railroad my stitches, which I think helps them look nice.

      Delete
  4. This pumpkin is just lovely. I am thinking you are up to mischief!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous little pumpkin! Love your color choices & fabric too! Thank you for linking to your post about VTs - so informative I will be bookmarking that for future reference 😃 I often struggle with the colors in my photos, you can spend ages fiddling with settings on the camera, then settings in the photo editing software only to find the quick pic you snapped on your phone looks truer to life! But not always... arrrgghh! I hope whatever you are up to you are having fun 😉
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're so right ... it's hard enough just to get an accurate picture, but then once you go to print that picture on a chart, you have to fiddle some more. It can be a very discouraging process! *sigh* Is Tiger Lily the one who has been left unsupervised? Lesson I learned the hard way: cats and DMC floss do not mix! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely little pumpkin. I like the way the variegated threads came out using your method. They really are very versatile.
    I struggle with fabric colours in photos a lot. I'm forever fiddling with settings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think this pumpkin is glorious. Interesting discussion re methods. If I can, I don't cross as I go. I thought it was just faster. I often struggle with indoor photos in general. Happy stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good morning! Does the 'alternate' pumpkin come with the actual chart, or did you find it elsewhere? I soooo prefer the alternate one, and your color changes are simply stunning!!! LOVE it so much!

    Enjoy your free time to stitch and create and wear your PJs all day! Wishing him a safe trip and speedy return.

    Thanks!!

    ~~Joanne
    http://periwinkle-ink.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne, it was a freebie offered at the time Playing with Jax was published. Vicki Hastings (the designer) graciously sent me a copy of the pdf to share with those who missed it. Email me and I'll send it to you.

      17dec00 at gmail dot com

      Delete
    2. Hi there,

      I have a flosstube and shared my Playing with Jax with the alternate pumpkin. Everyone's asking for it and now I can't find it anywhere! Would you be willing to send it to me?

      Delete
    3. Hello, I know I'm late to the game but I just started cross stitching again. I seen this pattern and love it. Can't find it anywhere, because I'm late. Hahaha would you please email me the link or send it to me. I would so appreciate it. Thank you

      Delete
    4. I would love a copy of the free option for the stitching with Jax chart if you still have it. Thank you! Rene

      Delete
    5. I too would love a copy of the alternate pumpkin, it’s just lovely!!
      Jenny
      Korejenn@sd91.org

      Delete
  10. Such an adorable pumpkin! I would probably have passed the chart right by if I hadn't seen your example! And now I'm even more intrigued at the mention of an alternate. I would love to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the alternate pumpkin, I'm late to the game, and will be starting this one soon, can I trouble you to get the pattern?? So much thanks in advance!!!

    ReplyDelete