12 October 2017

Stitcher's Memo Board

I've mentioned before that I am a list-maker. A writer-down-of-things. At any given time, I have at least half a dozen stitching-related things on my mind: things to stitch, changes to make, related projects to develop and make, etc. I usually jot these ideas down on paper, but a couple of weeks ago I decided I needed a memo board for my sewing room. I thought about a plain old white board. Not cute enough. I could decorate it. Nah. Still just a white board. Then I thought of using a picture frame and writing on the glass with dry erase marker. Then I thought of putting linen behind the glass to make it more "stitchy." Then I was off and running. (This is why I have to write stuff down; once I get an idea, my brain sort of takes off without me.)

This is a super simple project that takes minutes to make. You only need a few things:

*picture frame of whatever size would be most useful to you (I chose an 8x10)
*a scrap of linen or Aida
*1/8" foam core
*craft knife
*pins
*ribbon (optional)
*dry erase marker (it wipes off easily with tissue)

I chose a neutral-colored, rather plain frame and a plain, natural linen. You could use a fancier frame and your favorite color of linen. 

Use the glass as a template to cut the foam core, then cut the foam core out, just inside the pencil line of two perpendicular sides, as described in this post. Pin the fabric to the foam core.

Pop it in the frame. That's it. Or...

...pin on a couple of lengths of seasonal ribbon to dress it up a bit! This is why I chose such a neutral frame and fabric.


And here's my October memo board!


11 comments:

  1. Honeybee, what a terrific idea! I like your memo board especially with the linen background and the ribbon trim. Now enquiring minds want to know, will you be changing out the ribbon monthly? And where did you get your frame?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, yes, that's my plan. We'll see if I remember! ;O) The frame is from JoAnn Fabrics.

      Delete
  2. YOU my friend are so very, very clever! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great way to have one's "to do" list in open view.
    Thank you Honeybee, I'll borrow that idea for my soon to be, new sewing room. Hopefully it will keep me right onto the tasks. :):) Kay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a great idea!
    Thanks for sharing it.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea and can be changed with the seasons. We are having a small give away. Come by and sign up if you would like. RJ@stitchingfriendsforever

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a clever idea! I love the idea of changing the ribbons each season too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea! You're so inventive with your craft creations :)

    ReplyDelete