07 May 2018

Here a (Purple) Peep

Finally, a finish! Here's my purple dress version of Here a Peep There a Peep from With Thy Needle and Thread, stitched on 28 ct. Lamb's Wool.



Original color --> my change

Weeks Sockeye --> GAST Old Brick
GAST Brandy --> GAST Golden Rod
CC Autumn Spice --> DMC 920
CC Candied Yams --> CC Sunkissed
CC Eggshell --> CC Toasted Marshmallow
CC Mint Julep --> CC Grape Pie
CC Ye Old Gold --> GAST Golden Rod
CC Crab Cakes --> GAST Holly Berry

I also left off the white stitches on either side of the dark stitch for the eye, and just filled in with Golden Rod instead.

And now for my next project, which I'm really looking forward to. Way back in November 2015, I had the wild urge to stitch the Plum Street Samplers Sunday Mystery Sampler (the Twelve Days of Christmas) in full color instead of the three or four colors it was charted for. It was a bit like falling down a rabbit hole. I had no idea where I was going color-wise, and obviously no idea what the finished product would look like, but I was undeterred. I chose a favorite, rustic-looking neutral fabric--Wichelt Natural Brown Undyed linen--and my favorite threads--Caron Wildflowers--and off I went. (If you haven't been around my blog for that long, click on the picture of the Twelve Days of Christmas finish in the right sidebar to see all of my posts about the project. There's a link to the free charts in there somewhere, too.)

I was really happy with how it turned out and I figured I would end up doing another project  using this approach at some point. And here it is.

I saw this when all the new Market stuff was arriving and immediately imagined it in color. I love the verse, especially, and all the little critters just shouted, "Color me!" My Caron Wildflowers collection has grown quite a bit in the last couple of years, but it's not complete, so naturally I had to order some more colors to play with. I'll be using the Natural Brown Undyed linen again.

These are my new colors. I don't know if I'll use them all, but it helps to have lots of choices on hand when you're making it up as you go.


I cannot wait to get started on this! Stay tuned for critter color updates!

13 comments:

  1. Peep looks great with her purple dress! Those Wildflowers are such pretty colors. I especially like the light yellow one. With your color changing skills, Beasts and Birds will not doubt be gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want to run my fingers through your new threads. I look forward to seeing your colorize this sampler. Miss Peep looks mighty good in her purple dress.

    PS What is the darker green's name?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, the darkest green is Ivy. The other two are Mint (lightest) and Guacamole (middle).

      Delete
  3. I love your colour conversion on little Peep! That chart is so cute and given that I keep seeing it everywhere at the moment I think that means I will have to put it onto my must stitch list!
    Love those thread colours... oh they are so gorgeous :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your Peep!!! It's so delicate and pretty. Love, love, love your fabric and threads for your next project. You are so gifted. :) Cathryn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peep looks so cute in that color.
    That's a great Sampler, and I look forward to your stitching on it.
    Those threads are beautiful! Can't wait!
    Give Tiger Lily a scratch under the chin from me. :)
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here a Peep is darling! What fun to "color" your animals.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love Purple Peep! And your Wildflowers picking, perfect! Your new project is gonna be gorgeous, looking forward to its colorful progress.
    :):)
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute peep! Such a sweet finish. I’m very excited to see your new project with all those pretty colors to choose from!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely little finish and a wonderful new project.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Peep looks great and cannot wait to see what you do with your animal chart.

    ReplyDelete