21 June 2018

Victory!

It's cookie time for everyone! Look what arrived today!

Finally got my little mitts on Judith Kirby's Victorian House #13, Midwinter Moonlight. I've been seeing it here and there for far more than I wanted to pay, but I finally found one that was reasonably priced (for me). This completes my years-long quest to acquire this seasonal set:

About five years ago, I bought Autumn House from a fellow stitcher and two years ago I stitched it using my purple house color conversion. (I really need to get this framed.)


In February of last year, a very kind stitcher who was de-stashing gifted me with Spring and Summer.

I have #14, Summer Sunset, in my to-stitch basket for this summer. I've got a piece of fabric picked out for it and I'm anxious to see if it will look as cool in real life as it does in my head. I've got fabric in mind for Spring as well, but I think that house is going to need a paint job and I haven't decided on a color for it yet.

Lately, I've found myself reaching back to older designs, and re-imagining them with different color schemes or on hand dyed fabric (or both). It is amazing what a difference just changing the fabric makes. If you've been visiting for a while, you know that I love fiddling with color (if you're new, click on the "color conversions" tab below the header picture), and one really fun way to do that is to "update" an older design with a bold fabric choice. Even though my mom taught me to stitch when I was about five, I didn't start stitching in earnest until I was about 15, and back in those dark days, blue Aida was a bold choice. Now, there is an endless array of colorful Aida, linen, and evenweave. And those older designs whose models were stitched on white Aida deserve a second look. 

So, I encourage you to keep a sharp eye out for older treasures wherever they may be found: garage sales, Goodwill, clearance bins at your LNS, or online; they're usually really inexpensive. Plunk down $3 for your chart, splurge on some beautiful fabric, and breathe new life into an aging design. 

Happy Hunting... and may all your Stitchy Quests end in Victory!

9 comments:

  1. Great find on House #13, very pretty and even prettier once you make your color changes, I'm sure! The new fabrics have sure spurred a revival for these older charts. I have 4 that would like to do something with:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might get ahold of Collett at Stitch'ntime in Saginaw Mi she has the rights to these patterns

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, Honeybee! Good for you on finding and adding it to your pile! Way to go! I look forward to seeing what you do with them to rejuvenate the houses. As I said before, I love your version of the Autumn house. Enjoy the upcoming weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your House #9 is gorgeous, I have admired it so with the purple house!
    And your fabric choice, brilliant.
    Can’t wait to see your next interpretation.

    I too have a collection of Judith Kirby house charts, aren’t they all just so charming. Thanks Honeybee, for reminding me of them - I need to stitch my own version of one soon!

    And I completely agree - old designs are born again with something as simple as a hand-dyed fabric for a canvas.

    Semi-related: today I was in an antique shop in Chesterfield, NH, and discovered some ancient Leisure Arts charts for sale in a “Last Call” rack. They looked quite lovingly used, made me smile.

    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  5. You really should frame your autumn house, it is divine. Isn't it a fabulous feeling when you finally get the chart to complete a series! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely set of houses, it's good to complete a set when you've been waiting a while:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great collection.
    Have fun co-ordinating fabric, floss, and stitching them!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. These designs are ageless and yes,you have to frame the Autumn one for next Fall!! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The houses are so pretty. Love the autumn one you finished and look forward to seeing the others.

    ReplyDelete