27 July 2018

Christmas in July: A Dozen Christmas Freebies


Freebies--legal freebies--are just the best, aren't they? It's so much fun to stumble across a really cute free design and add it to your stash. It gives you a little feeling of having won the day. And here's another thing about freebies that I've observed: they seem to give us the freedom to use what we already have and feel comfortable with experimenting. I think perhaps when we buy a design, we subconsciously feel that because we've spent money on it, we have to do it "right" and we search for and purchase just the right fabric and threads. Which is all well and good. That keeps designers and fabric and thread dyers in business. Good for us, good for them. But with a freebie, we seem more willing to dig around in our stash and make do with what we have, substituting and experimenting. That, too, is valuable to us as stitchers. I think it expands our creativity. This sweet little elf freebie is stitched and finished entirely with stuff from my stash. I went a bit nuts on the finishing--two kinds of trim, pearl head pins, a bit of crochet, a rosette, and a tiny pom pom--but that's just fine because she was free and I can do what I want!

I made the rosette by just wrapping a piece of trim into a rose and securing the shape with hot glue.


I've stitched and finished a lot of freebies over the years, and you can check them out by clicking on the "freebie" label at the end of this post or on the right sidebar. I always provide a link to the freebies I show, but as these posts go back years, I can't guarantee all the links are still active. However, here are some really cute Christmas freebies that are on my to-stitch list. All the links are active as of 27 July 2018.

Very pretty "NOEL" and "Merry Christmas" . These are elegantly simple and lovely when stitched up.

A cute Santa design that would lend itself very well to color conversions. Hmmm...

Another "Merry Christmas" in a classic style.

Adorable Christmas House. I have so many ideas for customizing this!

Stitcher's Tree. Another elegant design that invites experimenting with color.

A joyful Christmas Ball. I really need to do this one for my "JOY" collection.

Gorgeous Candy Cane. Don't let the fuzzy chart fool you, this stitches up beautifully.

Graceful Stag's Head

A beautiful Cardinal bringing the Christmas mail.

And finally, a cute Santa Face made up of squiggles. 

Now, then! That's a dozen freebies--hopefully some you haven't seen--to keep you busy! Enjoy!



9 comments:

  1. Your ornament is just darling, Honeybee! I like how you stitched her minus sled with tree. Thank you for the dozen Christmas ornaments! I also like complimentary designs as they are a means to "try out" new to me designers. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your little Elf is so cute. Thank you so much for making the link to my Noel and Merry Christmas charts on your list, I'm honored to have made #2 ans #3 on the list.
    Hugs, Sandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, thank you for offering them. They're so pretty--I really need to get mine stitched up!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for all the freebie links.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the links. Question on the Christmas house - I can't get mine to open or print. How did you get it to print?
    Jackie
    http://needleworkerssamplings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, I just clicked on the chart, right clicked on that to save to my computer, and printed from there. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  5. Many thanks to you and linkers for the generous sharing..
    Gifting Stitchers' Tree to myself for Christmas....Love it
    Your Elf is so creatively finished..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for the wonderful links - such a treat! It's fun discovering new (to me)designers as well. Your elf is so cute - love the finishing! I also want to thank you for all your thoughts on preparing for Christmas. I've been slowly changing my approach to preparing for the holidays for a few years now, and really appreciate your ideas for enjoying a quieter Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love seeing a crochet trim on a cross stitch finish. It adds another interesting texture. Beautiful finish!

    ReplyDelete