11 May 2020

Prescription: Chocolate



It has been a week, y'all. Mr. Wonderful messed up his back getting off a plane last week. If you've ever taken care of someone who can't move you know what my week has been like. He's finally better and able to get around by himself, slowly. No stitching at all from me, but today was a baking day, because today had to be a baking day, if you know what I mean. I tried two new recipes and am happy to report two successful bakes! 

The first one I made is Impossibly Easy Brownie Pie. This is a low-carb chocolate pie. The batter whips up almost like a mousse and it puffs beautifully in the oven. As it cools, it settles to a thin pie with a very smooth texture. It reminds me a little of my Grandmother's old fudge pie recipe. A few notes on how I baked mine:
*I am not super strict about carbs, so I use regular chocolate chips in my lower carb baking, but you could use 1/2 c. sugar-free chips.
*I omitted the optional molasses.
*I omitted the walnuts (didn't have any).
*I baked mine 20 minutes and it was perfect.

This one I made for Mr. Wonderful, who tries to watch his carbs more closely than I watch mine (at least right now)...

...and this one I made for ME. It is most definitely not low-carb or lower carb or whatever, but it is small. And it's lovely.


This is a Chocolate Snack Cake and what a nice little recipe it is. I made it according to the recipe but I would add one note: make sure to cool the melted butter mixture before adding the eggs. Mine took 30 minutes and turned out deliciously moist. I wanted to taste it as-is before fiddling with the recipe, and I'm glad I left it alone because it's very good plain. However, you could add a little cinnamon or espresso powder or chocolate chips. Or you could frost it. It's just a very versatile, very quick, very easy little cake recipe. A keeper.

That's my public service for the day... testing chocolate recipes and passing along the good ones. Somebody's gotta do it. 

14 comments:

  1. Your cooking looks tasty and wonderful.
    Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look delicious!
    Thanks for the links.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both look incredibly tasty, Honeybee! Thanks for sharing the links and your thoughts/additions! I am glad to hear that Mr. Wonderful's back is doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've bookmarked the chocolate snack cake as I think my son would enjoy it. When you measure out your butter do you weigh it or use a cup measure. Over here in the UK we don't really use cup measures at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann! Our butter comes in 1 lb. boxes containing 4 individually wrapped 1/2 cup sticks. The wrappers are marked in tablespoons, so we just slice off what we need: 1/4 cup = 4 tablespoons (each 1/2 cup stick = 8 tablespoons). And each stick is 4 oz (113 g.) Does that help, or have I totally confused you?
      :O)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for that:-) If the recipe calls for a quarter cup of butter and a half cup stick is 4oz then I'm assuming that I would use 2oz of butter. Does that sound correct?

      Delete
    3. That's perfect, now I have to find time to make it. Tomorrow might just be the day for it:-) Thank you.

      Delete
  5. Sorry to hear about Mr. Wonderful's back, but I'm glad it's improved. Seems like a successful baking day- both of your chocolate recipes look great, thanks for the links. Hope this week is going well so far!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. This recipe sounds delicious. Can you tell me what Carbquik is I live in Australia and I have never heard of it. Thanks
    Robyn Sydney Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robyn! Carbquick is a low-carbohydrate baking mix. I don't know if it's available outside the US. Perhaps you have a similar product in Australia?

      Delete
    2. Sorry I don't think we have anything like that, oh well I can just drool over the picture. Thanks for your help, absolutely love your blog and your work, not to mention Tigerlily, stay safe Robyn

      Delete
  7. I have been baking a lot since we are home also. I haven't tried many new recipes...relying on old faithfuls. I have been starting to look through recipes looking for something new. I may try one of these. So sorry to hear of Mr. Wonderful's bad back. I hope he is back to normal soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! I'm glad Mr. Wonderful's back is feeling better. Having treated back pain patients and having been one myself, I can tell you how awful it is when your back hurts.

    ReplyDelete