16 December 2014

Christmas Open House, Day 4

We're halfway through my Christmas Open House Week, and I hope y'all are enjoying it as much as I'm enjoying sharing a little bit of what Christmas is like at our house. Let's go look at the tree!

2006, his:

Mine:

2007, his:

Mine (another favorite!):

Now let's go to the kitchen! Today, I've got... CAKE. Yes. And not just any cake. This is my favorite chocolate cake in the whole world. Maybe even the universe. Yep, probably the universe, too. My mom has been making this cake for me for as long as I can remember. And it's not what you might expect. It's not super sweet, or gooey, or slathered in rich frosting. It's just a wonderful, moist, chocolate cake... with an unexpected ingredient. Which I will now reveal. By the way, I have no idea why it's called what it's called. There is no whiskey in it... happily.

Scotch Chocolate Cake

Sift together: 
2 c. sugar
2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda

Bring to a boil:
1 stick butter (1/2 c.)
1/2 c. Crisco
4 Tbsp. cocoa (1/4 c.)
1 c. water

Pour boiling mixture over dry ingredients and mix well with a spoon. Allow to cool a bit (you don't want to cook the eggs!) before adding:
2 eggs
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix well. Pour into a greased pan and bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes. If you're using a 9x13, it'll bake a little faster. If you're using a bundt pan, cool the cake 10-15 minutes before inverting it onto a serving plate.

This cake really doesn't need any icing or glaze, but if you want to pretty it up a bit you could lightly dust it with confectioner's sugar. 

***

Today's freebie would be a super quick stitch and would make a great little ornament or last minute gift. Every time I see it I wonder why I haven't stitched it yet! Enjoy!

Merry Christmas, y'all!


7 comments:

  1. Love your ornament share for today especially that cardinal! Hmmm...it sounds like a delicious cake recipe that you shared.

    Robin in Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely ornaments and the cake sounds o good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love chocolate. And your ornaments, especially the cardinal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really enjoying your open house and all these yummy recipes:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your ornaments look great. I really like the twisting you do to the ribbon and using pins. I need to try that! Gaining 5lbs. immediately looking at that cake recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sara
    I finally stitched the beautiful cardinal and love how you finished your cardinal.
    I was wondering a few things.
    What size of triangle did you do?
    How do you do the ribbon?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sara
    I finally stitched the beautiful cardinal and love how you finished your cardinal.
    I was wondering a few things.
    What size of triangle did you do?
    How do you do the ribbon?

    ReplyDelete