01 April 2024

A Bird Story

 


Story time. Brew your tea.

If you're a long time reader, you may be familiar with my seasonal basket/dollhouse displays of my small finishes. (If not, just click on those labels in the right sidebar for a peek.) Within the last couple of years, I decided to come up with a different theme for my summer display, but ran into two problems: couldn't think of a theme, and didn't have time to do anything about it anyway. As y'all know, the last couple of years have been a challenge around here. 

Summer is my least favorite season, so nothing was really jumping out at me, demanding to be stitched. I guess the two most obvious and popular themes for summer decor are beach and patriotic. I'm not a beach person (unless it's rocky and freezing cold), and as I've mentioned in the past, I have done very little patriotic stitching because being in the military, it's pretty much our whole life! I needed something different!

A couple of weeks ago I was minding my own business when I was mugged by an idea. (Stop me if you've heard this one.) Birds. Of course. Of course, birds. Remember my bird tree from Christmas Open House 2022? If you do, you know I love birds! How did I not think of this immediately? I don't know. But at last my addled brain came up with the perfect theme.

I miss birds so much. When we were stationed on the East Coast, our quarters backed up to a pond and a wooded area. We had birds galore, and I cannot tell you how much I enjoyed feeding and watching them. We also had deer, squirrels, groundhogs, foxes, raccoons, and bunnies. The pond had ducks and geese and frogs and spring peepers. Oh how I miss all that wildlife.

Our next assignment was on the Great Plains, and there were very few trees around us, and not many birds. We did have bunnies and the cutest little ground squirrels. And where we are now, we have woods, but we can't have bird feeders on account of the bears. 

So the day I settled on my bird theme, I naturally started hunting through my stash and prowling Etsy, and remembering how lovely it was to have so many birds around back then. I thought a lot about how the little house finches used to nest in my front door wreaths every spring, and how the first thing I heard when I came downstairs every morning was their busy nesting and happy chattering. I remembered watching their babies hatch, and grow, and fledge. It's been years ago now. I was feeling wistful. 

The very next morning I came downstairs and heard that old familiar chattering and scrabbling on the door. I almost couldn't believe it. I peeked out, and sure enough, a pair of house finches had just begun their nest in my front door wreath. Because we have to use this door, I had to move the wreath and hope they would come back. I moved it to another place on the porch, and in doing so, noticed they had used some animal fur in the nest. I put a puff of werewolf fuzz on another part of the wreath for them to find, and waited.

They didn't come back that day.

I hoped they'd come back the next morning. 

They weren't there. 

I felt bad for disturbing them, but not having a side door as we had in the past, we had to use the front door. I hoped that maybe another pair might find the wreath.

Mid-morning I traipsed downstairs for a cup of tea and what do you think? There they were, industriously repairing the beginnings of their nest that the move had dislodged. I was so relieved.

We had our tea together that morning. It's been years since I've had tea with the birds, and I sat quietly, listening to them work, and feeling so very peaceful. It was enchanting. 

So for the last little while, I've been happily planning my Summer of Birds: choosing designs, pairing them with fabrics, making shopping lists... 

...and having tea with the birds.

(Bluebird design info in this post. Stitched on 32 ct. Zweigart Murano Fleur.)

23 comments:

  1. I'm so glad your little tenants came back; I know that must have been a thrill. Every year we get a nest in the little sheltered section of roof above our front door that we can see through the transom window; it was originally built by robins, but the past few years the mourning doves have gotten there first, as they have again this year. Last year we actually had two cycles of hatchlings, as the robins moved in after the doves had gone. I get excited every spring when I first spot nest making activity, and I always miss seeing their little heads pop up once they're done for the season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing that, Melanie. So lovely.

      Delete
  2. I always look forward to seeing how you and the girls are doing each time you post - this one's a cracker, loved reading about the birds and your cross stitch items are beautiful. Thanks for sharing. Elaine in UK

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post made me smile! I am listening to the little birds chatting away outside as I type this! Love your choice of stitching and very happy the nesters are sharing there new home with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice story! I have some huge juniper bushes at the front of the house. My mom planted them there as a wind break but they don't really work like that. They are now about 12-13ft high and home to dozens of birds who make a racket! But it's nice to hear them🥰

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a bird lover to I sit and watch them every day when I have my coffee.
    I love to hear them sing in the Spring . I had two Robins last year that were so tame . But they have not come back this year , we have more but they are not so tame .
    Love the cute bird you stitched so sweet.
    Enjoy your week hugs June.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the stitching, we have birds nesting in the garden at the moment. I love to hear the chatter of the robins and blackbirds as they gather their bedding. Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think we've ever had blackbirds, and we don't have as many robins here as I would've expected.

      Delete
  7. Oh Honeybee, I am so glad to hear you have birds in your back in your life. I love the darling bluebird you stitched (and on the very cool fabric). I look forward to seeing your summer display this year. We have a male bluebird flitting around the side yard, but haven't seen a female yet. We took down the feeders mid-March due to bear activity at the neighbor's house. The first of the hummingbird feeders will go up next week. Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could really do without the bears! It's so disappointing not to be able to feed the birds.

      Delete
  8. Oh, I'm so glad they came back.
    We are also bird lovers.
    I have seen a few Sparrows sitting on out outdoor porch light, maybe considering it for a nest?
    We also live with a river behind us, & see many different kinds of Ducks, & beautiful Waterfowl.
    There's a Heron that comes everyday & fishes across the river by the drain pipe where the fish come out.
    And Easter Sunday, we saw our first 2 Pelicans that came back for Summer.
    Enjoy your birds!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, we had a heron occasionally; they're so majestic! We also have pelicans here. They look like teradactyls to me!

      Delete
  9. What a lovely story, I too love birds. I have these tiny black seed beads I always sew one on for the eyes it makes them real somehow. Happy Spring. Enjoy those birds.
    Darlene N

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darlene, whenever I stitch a bird I always try to get that "bright" look that birds have, usually by adding a tiny white stitch. I agree, you have to get the eyes right!

      Delete
  10. Bummer that you had to disturb the birds, but nice that they came back after spending a couple of days away discussing their nesting options. I had to hang old CDs above the front door to prevent barn swallows from building there. I don't mind if they build on the porch posts, but not right above the door please!
    Anyone else think adding a teacup to the bird & nest you've shown today would be lovely?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a sweet idea! Everything is better with tea.

      Delete
  11. Sorry I'm late in commenting, but I loved your bird story! It's so great that the birds returned after you had to move the wreath. Years ago we had birds nesting in our wreath as well, and I loved hearing them when I was nearby. Lately they have been building nests on top of our lights on our porch. I look forward to seeing your summer of birds stitching. Enjoy your tea while listening to the birds!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a cheerful sound; I missed it so much.

      Delete