21 April 2017

I need a Texas basket, y'all.

Okay. So if you've been visiting for a while, you know I have a thing for seasonal stitchy baskets. If you've just arrived, you can see all of them here. I love stitching small designs for my baskets, and I'm always adding finishes to them. This year, I think I'll have enough fall finishes to have separate fall and Halloween baskets. Anyway. My summer basket is just sad. I am not a summery type person and I don't really stitch summery themes. What to do?

A few days ago, it hit me. You know that feeling you get when you have an idea that was so obvious you should have had it ages ago? It was that feeling. My summer basket should be a Texas basket. Of course. Bright colors, flowers (yes, Texas wildflowers are spring flowers, but shhhh...), waving flags. It would be perfect for summer.

Well, then I was off down the rabbit hole: pulling out all my small Texas charts...

...running to my LNS to find the perfect Bluebonnet blue and Indian Paintbrush red, and dusty green and fire engine red and lovely scraps of fabric...

...and collecting supplies for my first official Texas basket project, the Indian Paintbrush companion to this Bluebonnet I recently finished.

I'm supposed to be working on other things, but this has captured my imagination and I need to run with it. Sometimes what you plan to do is not what you need to do. Just as your body will tell you when it needs food and sleep, your mind will tell you when it needs to be let off the leash for a while. So I'm off leash! Let's see what happens!

16 comments:

  1. I think something wonderful is about to happen! As a huge lover of Texas, I can't wait to see what you come up with. Texas wildflowers make my day. I'm counting the days until I get to Texas this summer for a week stay on our way to Yellowstone. I love everything about Texas...the wildflowers, the great state flag, the food, the friendly people and of course our son lives there. Happy stitching Honeybee! RJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Thanks for the vote of confidence, RJ! I hope I don't disappoint! ;O) Couldn't agree with you more about Texas, or as we call it at our house: The Promised Land!

      Delete
    2. If it was up to me, Honeybee, I'd be living in the Lone Star State right now. RJ

      Delete
  2. I love your idea for your Texas basket. It is good to go off leash every once in a while. I look forward to seeing what you come up with to go in your Texas basket. What a wonderful assortment of threads and fabrics you found, but I am just a tad surprised there is no Buckeye Scarlet in the mix of reds. Enjoy your weekend, Honeybee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, it's funny you should mention Buckeye Scarlet, because I compared that Weeks Candy Apple to Buckeye Scarlet before I bought it to make sure there was enough of a difference to justify *another* red! Candy Apple is a bit clearer and brighter, but Buckeye Scarlet will always be my favorite!

      Delete
    2. I love Buckeye Scarlet too Robin and now I will have to get some Candy Apple to see the difference. My favorite red is Weeks Cayenne. It's my go to red.
      RJ

      Delete
  3. I think your Texas basket is a great idea! I can't wait to see it filled.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea with such beautiful thread colour choices. I'll look forward to seeing your progress.
    Kay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A Texas basket...I can't wait to see that and what pretty threads you've chosen. Lovely finishes by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea.
    You could also do Patriotic for Summer.
    Have fun!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea, and unique to you! Thanks for the link to your other baskets. Of course, I love the Autumn one the most.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great way to get excited for summer and to fill up the basket. Have fun with your Texas designs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the idea of a Texas basket! Just FYI, Thread Gatherer and Weeks Dye Works both have "bluebonnet" colors...TG Silk N Colors 0166 Texas Bluebonnet and WDW Blue Bonnet (#2339). The WDW is pretty close to the paler blues than appear in bluebonnets. Prettier in person than on screen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do have the Weeks Bluebonnet, but I think I used something different on the last bluebonnet I stitched. I'd have to look at my notes to see what it was.

      Delete
  10. Hahahahahaha! I LOVE it when you are 'off the leash'! :D Cathryn

    ReplyDelete