27 July 2015


I should be working on Snowfire Christmas, and Woodland Sampler, and Advent Animals (I'm 5 behind!). But what am I doing? Stitching Halloween. Sometimes I just lose all my self-discipline and start a new project even though I've already got several going that need my attention. Around this time every summer I start really wanting to stitch Halloween stuff, so when the urge hit me a couple of days ago, I gave in. This is Simply Boo by Elizabeth's Designs, from the 2015 Just Cross Stitch Special Halloween Issue. I wanted more vivid colors, so I changed them all: Caron Wildflowers Black Forest and Fiesta, GAST Burlap and Fragrant Cloves, and DMC 310. It's stitched on 32 ct. Natural Belfast linen.

I really should get back to my other projects... but I'll probably stitch some more Halloween. I'm still feeling kinda undisciplined. 

21 July 2015

Black Hearted Queen

Here's a fairytale-y finish... a black-hearted queen! It's a freebie from a Hungarian blog. This is not usually the sort of thing I stitch, but this little design appealed to me and I love how she turned out. She's stitched on 30 ct. R&R Irish Cream linen with DMC blanc, 310, 321, 712, and 3828. I used DMC for a couple of the colors that called for WDW, and I added the 321 for the mouth, as I wanted a tiny drop of color to catch the eye. 

The more I look at this, the more I like it. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's just that it's an interesting change from "princess" mania. Or maybe I'm just warped. Yeah. That could be it. 

Happy Stitching!

19 July 2015

July Update: Snowfire Christmas

A couple more bands done on Snowfire Christmas. The second band was supposed to be pulled work, but as I've mentioned before I'm not a fan, so I changed that one a bit. Two more skinny bands to go before the section where I've decided to stitch our names and wedding date. I think I've settled on an alphabet, but I need to chart the bands. I'm pretty sure I'll be stitching it over one. Then one more band of snowflakes, and I'll be done. I was hoping to have this done by the end of the summer... we'll see.

06 July 2015

In Which I Confess Another Addiction

Have y'all ever done one of these quickpoint pillows? 

That's one I did a couple of years ago. If you haven't ever worked one of these, let me do a commercial for them.

*They're fun. Really fun. For the following reasons:
*They work up quickly.
*No need for perfect lighting to see what you're doing.
*No counting.
*No frustrating knots.
*Easy on the eyes and hands. You're using a giant needle, with yarn, on a big canvas. It's the needlework equivalent of finger painting. And who doesn't need a little more finger painting in their lives?
*MUCH less expensive than needlepoint canvasses. 

These kits are made by several different companies, but the only ones I have experience with are the kits from Vervaco (Belgium). They're very good quality, the designs are gorgeous, and they don't skimp on yarn. Here's the one I'm working on now; an owl for Mr. Wonderful:

And here's my pillow kit hoard. Foxes for me and owls for Mr. Wonderful:

When I finish the pillow I'm working on now and take it off the frame, I'll show you the frame and the tacking tools I use.

Another thing about these kits, for all the reasons I mentioned above, I think they might work well for older stitchers who have vision or hand problems and can no longer see to cross stitch or hold a tiny needle. It's just giant cross stitch with yarn, and as you can see, there are a lot of really beautiful choices. 

If you go searching for these, some retailers call them quickpoint and some call them needlepoint. The retailers I am sure carry them, and that I have done business with, are 123 Stitch, Herrschner's, The Stitchery, and Sew and So in the UK (which calls them chunky cross stitch cushion kits). I believe Sew and So is the only one that carries kits by other manufacturers. I purchased the suede cloth pillow backs from The Stitchery; nice quality and lots of colors.

Happy Stitching!

04 July 2015

Woodland Sampler: June Block

For June, a sweet little lightning bug.

(I don't know why I can't get a decent picture of this sampler... they're all awful! Sorry!)

01 July 2015

Fox Tree Project: Ornament #3

Here's a little $2 kit I turned into an ornament for my fox Christmas tree. I didn't use any of the materials from the kit besides the chart itself--which I changed just a bit--and I added the tiny holly buttons from my stash.