26 June 2019

Christmas Ornament SAL April Finish (and other stuff)

Settle in... I got stuff.

I finally have a finish to show! Cookies for everyone! This is my April choice for the Christmas Ornament SAL, from the 2002 issue of Just Cross Stitch Christmas Ornaments. (Click the badge in the right sidebar to check out the SAL, or the label at the end of this post to see my other finishes for this SAL.)

Doing the fringe on her scarf was fun. I just winged it, but I like how it turned out.

As you can see, I did a color conversion from green to a rosey pink. She's stitched with DMC in 3687, 3688, and 3803. Her scarf is DMC Coloris 4504, and I gave her white skates instead of black. I don't have the backing on her yet but I was getting a little desperate to show a finish!

I've had a couple of questions about the Rosemary fabric I showed in my last post, specifically, what shade of DMC it is closest to. Here it is with 523...

...and with 524...

...and with both. Unfortunately, this is one of those fabrics that is nearly impossible to photograph accurately (at least for me). I've found that some fabrics just don't show true in photographs; I have no idea why. Anyway, it is a grey-green, but more green than these photos show. I'd say it's smack in the middle of 523 and 524: not quite as green as 523, but not quite as grey as 524. Now check out the very next photo after this one...


Do you see that the Rosemary is slightly more green in this picture than in the one immediately above it? This is as close as I can get to its true color. Here's a tip: if you're having trouble getting a fabric or thread to photograph true, sometimes it helps to throw in other colors to give the camera more to work with in interpreting color. And now you're all wondering about that gorgeous lavender-blue fabric!

I picked this up at my LNS a few weeks ago. It's 28 ct. linen by a new-to-me and relatively new fabric dyer called Colour & Cotton. This is Pixie. Don't know what I'll do with it, but it's such a lovely color, and I'm not usually a fan of blue fabric.

I also just got some more Russian stash. Is this not the cutest bat you have ever seen in your life? (By the way, speaking of photographing fabric, the background fabric in this photo is the same as in the photo above. *shrugs helplessly*) I was smitten with that little face, and that little bowtie. Too, too adorable.

And some wee Russian dollies. Both of these kits are from this Etsy shop. From shipping to delivery was about two weeks, much faster than I expected.

Also from another Etsy shop, this beautiful fox mandala. I want to start this yesterday. I stitched a color block fox design a few years ago (picture in the right sidebar) and it was such a fun, relaxing stitch. This is a bit more detailed, but the same general idea: simple, well-defined sections of color. Very enjoyable to stitch.

And finally, very important news: I have a new friend. This is Mr. Bun. He visits our flower bed on warm days and rests in the cool dirt. He's a very relaxed bun, and doesn't seem to mind our comings and goings at all. There are bunnies everywhere here. But this one is ours.

So that's all the newsy stuff. Otherwise, it has been weird. Or more accurately, I have been weird. I was killing myself to pull this house together as quickly as possible after the move, and dreaming of the day when I could call it done (the move, the house, everything) and just plop down in my sewing room and stitch the summer away. But when I got to that point, I... couldn't? Couldn't stop. I would sit down in my sewing room, stare for a few minutes, then get up and go find something to do. I couldn't settle to anything. Mr. Wonderful says I have to slow down before I can stop, and I guess that's been the problem: full power to full stop. It didn't work. Kinda like stopping a battleship. It takes a while.

But I think I'm finally getting there. I've been puttering around in my sewing room a bit more, and in recent days have been bitten by the fall/Halloween stitching bug, which is strange. I love to stitch fall, but don't stitch much Halloween, so I don't know where that came from, but I'm going with it. I'm not a fan of the modern, adult-oriented Halloween, with all the body parts and gore and other stuff. I call my Halloween taste "spooky cute" (thus, that precious little bat I showed above). So I pulled a few things from my stash that I may incorporate into my summer stitching. We'll see.

And now, even while basking in the triumph of finishing a tiny ornament two months late, it's time to decide what to stitch next. I need to catch up on the Christmas Ornament SAL, but I'm feeling a little rebellious, so who knows? Stay tuned!

10 comments:

  1. What a super post to read this evening, Honeybee! Thank you for highlighting the Rosemary fabric! It is a very pretty green. I think you should add that cute bat to your summer stitching. What cool new goodies that came to live at your house! I think it is awesome that you have a bunny living in your yard. Has Tiger Lily seen it through a window? Your ornament turned out lovely. Enjoy the remaining days of June!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She hasn't seen him yet. His little place is on the other side of the porch rail.

      Delete
  2. Great stitching, I love the scarf on the girl. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. That ornament turned out so cute.
    Great stash!
    Mr. Bun is too cute!
    We moved last August, and I was just like you, thought it was over & could relax with stitching & sewing. Set up my own sewing room which I looked forward to.
    Couldn't keep focused for very long.
    Still have a few boxes to go through, and am now painting downstairs rooms.
    We painted the whole upstairs before we moved in, so was kind of painted out for awhile. LOL
    But, hopefully it will all be done soon.
    Most people say it takes a good year to settle everything the way you want it.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed reading about what you've been up to lately. I love your ice skater with that great fringed scarf. That Rosemary fabric is lovely, and I also love the pretty Pixie. I've just recently heard about Colour & Cotton and checked their website - they seem to have some beautiful fabrics and threads. I understand what you mean about having trouble getting focused - I think after a huge move and such a disruption in your life it makes sense that you need time to slow down first, I'm glad it's starting to happen! So fun to have a bunny friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the way you stitched the skating girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty color changes you made to your ice skater ornament. What does Miss Tiger Lilly think of Mr. Bun?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think she can see the spot where he rests.

      Delete
  7. Great new stitch Honeybee. I love the skating girl. Your new fabrics are delightful..what soothing and pretty colors. RJ@stitchingfriendsforever

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the info on Colour and Cotton! I have saved it to my favorites for future use. I am glad to see you are getting back to your stitching. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete