01 February 2020

It Has Begun

Behold! I have finally started Russian Hunt! I promised myself I'd start it in January, and with a few hours of the month remaining, I put in the first stitches. I can't believe I have actually started this massive project. Since it's fully stitched, I chose Aida. I wanted the fabric to have a lot of stiffness and body for such a large piece. Besides the subject matter, one of the things I love about this design is that unlike many large projects, it's not heavily pixelated; it's made up of smooth swaths of color, like brushstrokes, and there are very few confetti stitches. I'm already enjoying stitching it.

I circled the area I'm working on. 

So, I'm off. Not exactly off and running... more of a casual stroll. No deadline. A fellow-stitcher once described this type of project as a "7-11 project: not always doing business, but always open." I thought that was brilliant. For a control enthusiast like myself, there is something a bit daunting but also a bit therapeutic about taking on such an open-ended, who-knows-when, type of project. Getting lost in--and enjoying--the process takes precedence over the finish, which is years away (Lord willing). I have lots of deep thoughts about this but they're best summed up in the Chinese proverb:

The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

The journey has begun...

12 comments:

  1. How exciting to begin a project you've been wanting to work on for so long! It should be fun to have a long-term large design you can work on when you want and enjoy seeing it come together. It will be a stunning piece. Happy February and enjoy the rest of the weekend!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting project you've started. Enjoy the process!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a beautiful piece.
    Enjoy your time stitching it!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a beautiful piece and I look forward to watching your progress on it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is going to be absolutely spectacular when completed and I love the colors showing in your stitching! I am waiting on the right-size scroll frame to arrive (hopefully tomorrow) so I can also begin a large, full coverage project for my mom. I love the 7-11 description. Thank you for being so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great start so far. With big projects, it's best to tell ourselves it'll take some time to finish. After all, stitching is supposed to be fun! Have a good Sunday, hb!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Honeybee, I am glad you have started this piece. I love the 7- Eleven comparison and it really does suit many in the stitching community. I am looking forward to whatever progress shares you will be showing us. Enjoy the journey with this one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a masterpiece and a truly ambitious stitch! This will be well worth the time investment! Love the coloring in this....like sunlight al around....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with you. Sometimes the process is just so much fun. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I finished a large project like that for my son a couple of years ago. I just put one for my daughter on the embroidery stand last week. Now I have to put in some guidelines and then start stitching. The last one took 3 years, this has more stitches. Sigh....enjoy the process and watch the picture emerge!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great start. This is how I feel about my Chatelaine, it's an expensive project so I don't mind if it takes several years to stitch!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is awesome. Such a beautiful piece.

    ReplyDelete