I love to enable (and be enabled by!) fellow stitchers by sharing designs and stash and goodies I find, but today is something new. I'm not sure why it has never occurred to me to share other things, but I recently had to do a re-stock of a few of my favorite things and it dawned on me I should share!
So today, skincare! We all have our tried and true favorites, and these are mine. I've been using them for years on my sensitive, very dry skin. Mind you, these are not fancy formulas with the latest trendy ingredients taking the interwebs by storm. They're simple, old fashioned products made by small American businesses. One of the recipes is over 250 years old! I know we're in the age of 25-step skincare routines, and if that's what you enjoy and you love the results, more power to you! Me? I would have to take a nap halfway through! Basic products for a basic girl!
Soap from Connecticut
Several years ago I went through a long season of extreme stress and my skin went absolutely haywire. It was so red and inflamed it looked like I had been burned. It was awful and nothing I tried soothed it. I had been buying lotion from this Connecticut goat farm for a while but hadn't tried any of their soap. I added one of these Sensitive Skin face bars to an order to give it a try. I don't know whether it's the goats' milk or the clay or both, but my skin loves this soap. It didn't happen overnight, but it saved my skin.
Créme from Montana
This Wool Wax Creme is a super thick formula made in Montana from the lanolin in sheep's wool (obviously you'll want to skip this if you're allergic to wool). This stuff is amazing. When you put it on, it can feel slightly tacky at first, but if you keep rubbing it in, it melts into your skin and creates a moisture barrier. Sheep are waterproof and so are you! Seriously, it stands up to showers and handwashing better than anything I've ever used. My skin has begun changing over the last year or so (you ladies of a certain age know!) and it's even drier than ever. This heavy duty creme is keeping it soft and protected. It's too heavy for the face, but it's great elsewhere. The shop I linked has a little 2 oz. tub if you just want to try it. It's available from several shops that sell Montana-made goods.
This. THIS is my holy grail. A 250-year-old moisturizer. It's from a historical apothecary shop on Etsy. I have tried and enjoyed a number of goodies from this shop, but this "pomatum for wrinkles" is my absolute favorite. I use it as an eye cream. I have to be careful about the moisturizer I use on my face as it seems to prefer something light, even though it's quite dry, so I don't use this all over my face, but it's the best eye cream I've ever used. This shop also offers tiny sample sizes of a lot of their products, so you can try out lots of things and see what works for you.




What a great post to find, Honeybee! Thanks for sharing and for the links. I am going to check them out later.
ReplyDeleteYou're welcome, Robin!
DeleteThank-you for sharing Honeybee, i will give them a try, I am of the age of 75 dry skin gets to me, i have tried many items so far only Vaseline has worked for me. Thank-you for the links.
ReplyDeleteI like buying from local and items made in America.
Catherine
Me too, Catherine. I hope you find something that works for you!
DeleteThanks for the info, they look like great products.
ReplyDeleteMarilyn
You're welcome, Marilyn!
DeleteThank you so much for sharing! There are a couple I'm going to try. But where are the werewolves?
ReplyDeleteThey are definitely my favorites but not very moisturizing! 😆
DeleteThank you so much for sharing your experiences with these lotions. I had to try the Wool Wax Creme as I'm from MT. ;) What an amazing product!! I have been having terrible problems with dry hands and it was becoming almost impossible to work on my stitching with silk threads. The roughness on my thumb was snagging the silk with every stitch.....how frustrating! But this creme -- WOW!! After only 2 days I'm able to stitch snag free. I filled a smaller jar to take to work to help with the cold dry season we have coming up. I'm going to have to look into the other two items you mentioned. I love supporting the small businesses.
ReplyDeleteHOORAY! I am absolutely thrilled it worked so well for you and made your stitching easier! Thanks for letting me know, and spread the word! 😍
Delete