17 December 2017

Flavors of Christmas: Cinnamon

Welcome to my 4th annual Christmas Open House! The theme this year is "Flavors of Christmas" and my sewing room and my kitchen are open! Y'all come on over!


This week I'll be sharing some little ornaments I've made celebrating my favorite flavors of Christmas, and of course, cookie recipes! Make sure you stick around until the end of the week to see where we go with this...

There isn't a chart for these ornaments as all I've done is chosen an alphabet I liked, charted the word, and stitched it up. "Cinnamon" is stitched on 30 ct. Irish Cream linen from R&R Reproductions with GAST Cinnamon. The muffin tin charm is from 123 Stitch and the star cookie cutter is from Shelly's Buttons and More.

*****

Cinnamon-Sugar Crackle Cookies

For me, there are few kitchen aromas more pleasing than baking cinnamon. It's warm and homey and welcoming. These little cookies are very simple but so good with hot tea or coffee.

1 c. shortening
1 3/4 c. sugar, divided
2 eggs
2 3/4 c. all purpose flour
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
4 tsp. ground cinnamon

Cream shortening and 1 1/2 c. sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Combine flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate about 30 minutes. 

Combine cinnamon and remainder of sugar and set aside. Shape dough into 1" balls and roll in cinnamon-sugar. Place 2" apart on ungreased baking sheets and bake at 400 for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool 2 minutes before removing to racks to cool completely. Yield: about 4 dozen



Hope everyone is ready to stitch and bake... see y'all tomorrow!

7 comments:

  1. Well this is the cutest!!! I absolutely love it. And the charms really set it off. Cute, cute, cute!!! This is an outstanding idea. Happy Holidays! RJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an adorable stitch and just love that little muffin pan!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so thrilled to see your post. I have been waiting rather impatiently for it to appear. Come on, spill it! Which alphabet did you use? Thanks for providing the details on the cute little star cookie cutter and muffin tin charm. I am looking forward to this week of your Open House.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Argh! I KNEW someone would want the alphabet! :O(

      It's a freebie I found online some time ago. I searched and searched when I was getting ready for my Open House so I could link to it, but of course I couldn't find it again. I'm sorry! I'll keep looking and if I find it I'll update the post.

      Delete
  4. We call these cookies snickerdoodles. You forgot to mention that they're also addictive! ;)

    This is a very creative theme for your Open House. Reading your post made me think how cute it would be to stitch "cloves", finish it as a pillow and actually put cloves in the stuffing. I think I've seen people do this with mug mats/coasters.

    Perfect choice in button colors. Looking forward to seeing what you cook up for tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like an easy cookie recipe to follow. I have Christmas cookie gifts to make and I'll use yoursI Thanks Honeybee. I thought they were snickerdoodles too. Love your ornament and I like the fabric you stitched it on. And thanks for the fabric enabling too, because I have to have the fabric:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OoooHHH! Honeybee,
    I'm headed to your home, the sugar buns sound scrumptious. I agree, the smell of cinnamon is wonderful & very evocative of Christmas times past. Love the wee Cinnamon pillow & the tiny ornaments, so sweet
    Kay.

    ReplyDelete