19 December 2017

Flavors of Christmas: Orange

Day three of my Christmas Open House and today's flavor is orange! Now, I suspect there might be some confused looks out there. "Orange? Orange isn't a Christmas flavor." Well, perhaps not at your house, but at my house I always like to have some citrus-y sweets as a refreshing follow-up to some of the heavily seasoned dishes I serve on Christmas and Christmas Eve. I think I've mentioned before that being from Texas, our Christmas Eve tradition is tamales, and if you click on the Christmas Open House 2014 tab you'll find my menu for our traditional Christmas Day brunch, including the Lemon-Orange Rolls I make. We like spicy food and citrus is perfect afterward. I also have to say that oranges at Christmas always make me think of much leaner times in our history when citrus was such a winter luxury that it was special enough to appear in Christmas stockings.


"Orange" is stitched on 30 ct. Irish Cream linen from R&R Reproductions with Weeks Persimmon. The spatula charm is available at 123 Stitch and the heart cookie cutter is available at Shelly's Buttons and More.

*****

Orange Snowballs

These are a variation of the Mexican Wedding Cookies you can find in my 2014 Christmas Open House. They are ever so slightly orangey.

1 c. butter, softened
1 1/4 c. confectioners' sugar, divided
1 tsp. grated orange peel
1/2 tsp. orange extract
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 c. all purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 c. finely chopped pecans (or walnuts, or whatever you prefer)

Cream butter and 3/4 c. confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in orange peel and extracts. Combine flour and salt and gradually add to creamed mixture, mixing well. Stir in nuts.

Shape into 1" balls and place 1" apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Remove to racks to cool completely. Roll in remaining confectioners' sugar. Yield: about 3 dozen

5 comments:

  1. I was trying to figure out the word for day 3 over breakfast this morning. I was wrong because I thought it might be peppermint or cloves or even lemon. I need to check out that thread color; I don't think I have seen it in person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother tells us that it was such a treat when she and her sisters would get an orange in their stockings for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, orange was a surprise. But as a child we always got an orange and an apple in our Christmas stockings. Aren't oranges with cloves a popular holiday scent? I am really liking this idea and the charms are just too cute. Can't wait for tomorrow's flavor :+}

    Sandra in Texas

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the sound of this cookie, Honeybee! Orange flavor is one of my favorite. The stitch is adorable just like the others...the little charms are the cutest. This is such a great idea and the cookie recipes are going to get tested here. RJ

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am gaining weight from reading your posts and writing mine!

    The addition of beads to your pins is a great finishing touch.

    ReplyDelete