22 February 2019

The Comfort of Stitchy Things

We're less than two months away from moving day and things are in pretty good shape around here. We're busy, but not frantic, which is how I like to be. I'm getting a lot of enjoyment out of my mini stash and am finding time to stitch several evenings during the week, and much of the weekend. That's more than I stitch when I'm not moving! And it has been really helpful with keeping the stress in check. It seems that when we most need the comfort and relief of stitching, that's when we put it away because "there's too much going on." I decided to do the opposite, and it's working well for me. I'll have more thoughts on this after I survive this move!

Here's my current WIP, LHN's Hometown Holiday Coffee Shop. Except, not being a coffee drinker myself, I converted it into a tea room. I replaced the coffee pot with a tiny teapot and changed the sign on the window. Just a little more work on this one and I'll be moving on to my March choice for the Christmas Ornie SAL.

Pretty little stitchy goodies always make me happy and they're an important ingredient in my mini stash. This is my new needle minder from this Etsy shop. Isn't she lovely? 

And here's a beautiful little 4" lavender hoop I just got. I'm a Q-Snap fanatic so I rarely use hoops, but since the smallest Q-Snap is 6" sometimes that's just too big for a teeny tiny stitch. It wastes too much fabric to cut it large enough for the snap so I use a small hoop. I got this one from one of my favorite Etsy shops. It's from Japan and also comes in Cherry Red and Tiffany Blue.


This is my new duck. Why? Because adorable. And because $1.99. And because since I can't decorate for spring this year, I needed this one, tiny touch of spring in my sewing room. He's from Hobby Lobby.

And this is my sweet kitty Tiger Lily, the ultimate stress reliever. Look at those little feets. 

I've also been following the Nashville Market updates and sneak peeks very closely, as I do every year. This year is very, very sampler heavy, which will delight lovers of large samplers, but I was beginning to wonder if I was going to find any designs to suit me. I needn't have worried, as some of my go-to designers have come through, and I now have half-a-dozen designs on my wish list. I've also preordered the Market cookbook (which has small charts in it) and the Rosewood Manor cookbook (which has lots of small charts in it) and I'm really looking forward to getting my mitts on those. I love cookbooks, and cookbooks with charts in them are not to be missed! Market is next weekend, so it's not long to wait now.

Hope to have a couple of finishes to show next week. Have a lovely weekend, y'all, and happy stitching!

10 comments:

  1. It sounds like the moving preps are going well for you and yours. Miss Tiger Lily appears to be taking her job as a stress reliever very serious. Your 'tea shop' stitch looks super and I love the little teapot you added. What a precious little hoop you acquired! I would be interested in knowing if the lavender colors transfers to the fabric. The duck and the new needle minder are sweet. Enjoy your weekend, Honeybee! Stay dry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll let you know if it does. A design small enough to fit in a 4" hoop should only take a few hours to stitch, so hopefully that won't be an issue.

      Delete
  2. Like you, I was beginning to wonder if Market held any treasures for me this year but I saw Kitten Stitcher's small teaspoons and tea cups that is tempting me. I asked my LNS owner to look for it for me. I also ordered one of the cookbooks that is being released with recipes from various designers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your approach to turning to stitching when normally we'd put it away like you said - so very true! Love your insight!! The tea room is turning out very pretty and I love your new needle minder! Tigerlily is always a joy to see - Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute little Tea Shop, and great accessories.
    Glad you are organized for your move.
    As always, Tiger Lily is so beautiful.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a precious needle minder!! I love your stitch as well. I am off for a stitching day with the North Alabama Stitchers. I have a lot of fill in work to do today as I gab with my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your idea of intentionally turning to the comfort of stitching even as you are in the thick of your moving preparations (& I'm glad to hear it's not frantic, either.) I know I've done that in the past & thought "I'm just too busy to stitch" when actually I probably really need to continue to take the time for it since it always provides me with such joy and relaxation. Your mini stash sounds like it's been wonderful for you, too. I love that needle minder -so pretty - and your Tea Shop stitch is beautiful! Hope you enjoy your week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cats truly are the ultimate stress reliever - when we went without a cat in our home for three weeks a number of years ago I felt bereft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, I completely understand. My parents are without a pet for the first time in nearly 30 years, and they're feeling it. My mom can't wait for their vet to come up with a couple of kittens who need a home.

      Delete