19 November 2019

A Finish & A Tip for Stitching Eyes


I ran across this little snowman and his friends while window shopping on Etsy and couldn't resist (available in this shop as either hard copy or pdf). I stitched him with the recommended DMC on 28 ct. Snow linen by Fabric Flair (available at 123 Stitch) and just added a few beads from my stash.

I also added this super cute, tiny candy cane, which I also found at 123. 


While I was stitching, it occurred to me to snap a few "in progress" pictures to share a tip for stitching eyes. Eyes are usually stitched in dark thread against a lighter background, which makes the "x" very obvious, even if you railroad. Those x-shaped eyes remind me of old cartoons where someone has been cracked on the head and knocked out cold, and their eyes turn into little x's. So to avoid my stitched folks looking like they're unconscious, I use a Smyrna stitch for their eyes instead. Below, you can see the difference. The eye on your left is a Smyrna stitch and the eye on your right is a regular cross stitch. 


I also used a Smyrna stitch for the snowman's buttons, the eyes on the bird and the reindeer, and the reindeer's nose. Any time I want a stitch that looks more rounded, that's what I use.


For those not familiar with this stitch, it's simple. After you make your "x" stitch, just stitch a "+" on top of it. Just as you would always stitch the top leg of your cross stitches in the same direction, if you're using multiple Smyrna stitches, make sure the top leg of your "+" lies in the same direction, either horizontal or vertical. (I always make the horizontal leg my top leg.)

I'm happy and very relieved to say I've finally finished my Christmas Open House projects, the finishing is done, the photography is done, and all that remains is the blogging. I actually have a couple of weeks now to work on some fall stitching... amazing. It's so nice to stitch without a deadline. I hate stitching to a deadline and usually avoid it at all costs, but this year, with the move, it was unavoidable. But now it's done and I can goof off for the rest of the year and stitch whatever I want, when I want. As it should be.

Happy (no pressure) Stitching!

12 comments:

  1. Thank you for your stitched eyes tip. It makes a lovely difference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your tip for stitching eyes, Honeybee! Thank you so much! I love your ornament finish. Well done! It looks super on the fabric you choice! Glad you are nearly ready for your holiday open house. Looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think using the smyrna stitch makes a significant difference - good tip:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely little finish.
    Thanks for sharing the idea for the eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute finish.
    Thanks for the tip.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Smyrna for eyes it is! Thanks for the tip! Tho...I did get a chuckle from the cartoon reference! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute stitch! That's a great tip for stitching eyes, really makes a difference. It's nice you've completed all your deadline stitching, enjoy stitching whatever you want!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very sweet piece Honeybee, thank you for you stitching wisdom.
    I'm looking forward to seeing Your Christmas Open House, always a treat.
    Hugs to TigerLily. Kay.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful finish! And thanks for the tip about Smyrna stitch. Sometimes I use a french knot, but Smyrnas seem like a much better idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely idea. Fantastic finish! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a sweet finish! I love the pattern, but you’ve made it really special with your additions. Wonderful tip about using Smyrna stitches. I always thought the X’s looked, well, like the character was indeed “knocked out”! Haha! But it never occurred to me to fix it. Look at you, miss smarty pants! Well done! 👏

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a good idea to use Smyrna's for eyes! I will definitely try that next time! Your finish is very cute!

    ReplyDelete