07 April 2020

Honeybee's Big Adventure

But first, a message from my cough drop:

Big day today! I actually went somewhere! Whoah. I haven't been anywhere (except for a couple of short car rides with Mr. Wonderful) in over three weeks, including the commissary. I stocked up back in February, so we've just been relying on Mr. Wonderful making a quick stop for a few items on his way home from work. It was time for me to go, so I donned my little mask and off I went. Shelves were in much better shape than the last time I saw them on 15 March. Everything was pretty well stocked, except the elusive toilet paper, which has been hunted to extinction and is now rarely seen in the wild. However, I did make a stop at Wal-Mart and managed to find some. My theory about the toilet paper shortage is that at first it was panic buying, but now it's a result of people just using more. The whole family is home all day, every day, instead of kids being at school and parents being at work. So of course home usage increases. I bet there's a huge corresponding surplus on the commercial side of the tp business. I've also noticed dishwasher powder is always absent: more cooking and eating at home, more dishwasher runs. Yeast has been scarce. Apparently everyone is rediscovering baking. As a career homemaker, it's really interesting to me to see what happens to supply and demand when everyone is suddenly at home all the time. I've read that lots of needlework shops and craft suppliers are flooded with online orders, which is wonderful, not only for the businesses, but also for everyone rediscovering the joy and comfort of making things.

Speaking of which, I have stash to share. I stumbled across a new-to-me designer a few weeks ago, Serenita di campagna. She has an Etsy shop where I purchased these charming, old-fashioned designs. I looove the calico kitties in this Halloween design. 

Look at the little fox trailing along behind!

These are the kinds of designs I remember from when I first started building my stash many years ago: cheerful colors and plenty of detail. Nothing drab or austere about these sweet designs.

In the spirit of charming, old-fashioned stitching, here's another freebie in the Be Well series. It reminds me of the designs my Grandmother worked. MAKE A NOTE that the correct stitch count is 71 x 60. You can see finishes on their Facebook page.

I hope y'all are doing well. I think we have a way to go yet, but it seems all of our efforts at social distancing and hand washing and mask wearing may be starting to show up in the trends. Keep up the good work, everybody! You're literally saving lives!


And don't forget to be good to yourself!

8 comments:

  1. Very pretty design choices, it's good to see something different as so many stitches opt for samplers nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What cute designs, love the Seasonal one.
    Beautiful Tiger Lily.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I love the one with the little fox! I've got to admit, it was the primitive designs that first pulled me into cross stitching a few years ago....but, now I'm enjoying other styles....and am hoping to venture into a full coverage design this week!
    Tiger Lily is a sweetie pie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always Honeybee, your post made me smile. I think you are right for the current supply issues on the tp and cleaning products. I know our dishwasher is running more than usual due to eating more meals at home. What lovely charts and designer you shared today. Also, thank you for the link to the Needlework Press free design! I am going to save it until the color cartridges get here. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good morning and what a lovely uplifting post! I love the new charts, and will have to go and check the shop out! Beautiful kitty cat. I have one which is a tuxedo and also have two dogs. All three are rescue pets. I am now your newest follower. I thought I was one but wasn't! I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for another cheerful post!The
    new designs you received look very sweet. Hope you're having a good week! Take care.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete