29 June 2021

Tip for Marking Color Charts

My preferred combination for stitching is a black & white chart and a colored pencil. I never use marker or highlighter as I would be paranoid about somehow accidentally dropping it on, or brushing against, my fabric. I have heard horror stories, and I'm sure you have as well. For me, a quick sweep of the colored pencil on the section I've just stitched is sufficient to keep my place. 

I avoid color charts, if possible. A color chart won't prevent me from stitching something I really like, but if I have the option, I always choose black & white. For most color charts I've stitched, I find that a silver metallic pencil will do the job. The metallic reflection provides just enough contrast to the color symbols to see where I've marked. I use the silver metallic pencils found in the sewing notion section of craft stores. 

However. I occasionally run across color charts where the chosen colors, together with the color saturation, just absorb the silver pencil (which are not heavily pigmented in the first place) and it's difficult to see the marked sections. Solution?

Solution:


The white ink stands out starkly against dark colors. The multi-pack above contains three sizes, which I've shown below (left to right): fine, medium, bold. I got this pack at Hobby Lobby, but I think these are widely available at craft stores and on Amazon, and you can sometimes find them as open stock or in single packages.

As you can see, just a small mark shows up very well, and also allows you to still see the color and symbol, just in case you need to re-stitch a mistake, or if you decide to stitch the whole design again. 

I also don't worry about an accident with these. The ink is a gel and not "wet" like marker or highlighter ink, where just brushing them against something leaves a mark. You sort of have to "apply" this ink where you want it. 

Hopefully this little tip is helpful for anyone struggling with a color chart. Click on the "How To" label at the bottom of this post or the tab at the top of the page for more tips.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks a lot for the tip! I will look for these next time I am out. And they look a lot neater than a marker or highlighter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a helpful tip, thank you! I also prefer a black and white chart and a colored pencil to a color chart- it's just easier for me to read and follow. I have struggled with keeping my place on a color chart, so I'll definitely give the white gel ink a try. Hope you're enjoying your WIP Summer stitching!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome tip, Honeybee. Will have to look for them the next time I am out and about. I prefer black & white charts. I am not fond of color charts where you can't see the symbol or even the color charts that are just blocks of color (like dark green and medium dark green side by side).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honeybee: Interesting tip on the pens.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are nice looking pens. I always make a black and white working copy of any coloured chart and then colour it in as I go. It's how I do all the charts where I need to mark off what to stitch.

    ReplyDelete