25 January 2023

A Year of Winter: Winter's Rest

First finish in my Year of Winter stitching! This is Winter's Rest by Calico Confectionery stitched with the recommended DMC on some kind of 28 ct. rustic mystery evenweave. I love the charming retro look of this design. It reminds me of the design style back in the 80's, when I really got into stitching as a teenager. When I was about six years old, my mom taught me to stitch by having me make "x's" on a piece of gingham fabric stretched in a hoop, one "x" on each colored square. It wasn't until I was about 15 and discovered the double blessing of a stitching friend and a great local shop that I really got going. This design reminds me of that happy time. I chose the rustic fabric (rustic = bits of stuff in it) in tribute to the Fiddler's Lite (or oatmeal) aida that was so popular at the time. 



I know it's only January and I've only finished one project, but I am really enjoying this Year of Winter plan. I've assembled a little collection of winter projects that I love and am anxious to stitch. I'm also working on a big Christmas Open House for 2023, the tenth anniversary of that tradition. 

Hope you're all well and off to a great start on your stitching year!


12 comments:

  1. It is a beautiful little stitch. I was learning to cross stitch about the same time as you, and I do remember when this style was so popular. Although I've seen it coming back into style lately. I can't wait to see more of your projects. Happy stitching! -Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is wonderful. Can't wait to see more winter stitching. Will you think I am weird if I say I am looking forward to you Christmas Open House?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not if you don't think it's weird I'm already working on it! ;O)

      Delete
  3. Love your new stitch , it's beautiful , have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that winter design.
    I've always loved Fiddlers cloth with the flecks in it.
    I think I still have some! :)
    Can't wait for the next Christmas Open House!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like that pattern. I started stitching around the same time as you. I am looking forward to seeing all that winter stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a beautiful winter finish, Honeybee. Love it on your linen choice! There is something soothing about this style. I can't get over that 2023 is your 10th anniversary for Christmas Open Houses. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a soothing design, very pretty! Amazed this is your tenth anniversary but absolutely love what you do 😍 Thank you for continuing to host these!! Laura

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a fabulous piece! Added to my someday stitch list. I also love your owl background on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That’s a sweet design and very 1980s. Even the font for the lettering is of the time! I stitched a few pieces with a similar alphabet back in the 1990s.
    Serendipitous Jo

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a really sweet design, and a pretty finish. I remember when this style was popular, and I still like it. I like your plan of doing a year of winter, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you stitch next. I think it's very fun that you're already working on your next Christmas Open House, and I'm looking forward to it as well- it is always such a treat to see all that you've come up with! I really appreciate that you are continuing to do them.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thats amazing.... stitching is one of my favourite...

    ReplyDelete