11 May 2023

Moving Update: In, With the Door Shut

 

Throughout my dad's nearly 30-year military career, "in, with the door shut" was the goal of every move. It's that moment when the movers finish unloading in your new quarters at your new duty station, and you close the door behind them, and for the first time in weeks (often months) you breathe. It's been that way for our almost 20 years as well. 

The part of the move we did ourselves went smoothly, even if it was really hard work. The part where the movers took over? Welllll... we'll just say it took twice as long as it should have for various reasons. So we're exhausted and more than a little irritated, but we'll leave it at that because it's over, and we're in, with the door shut.

I'm now going into post-move recovery hibernation for a bit, so I leave you with pictures of the girls enjoying some of their new windows. They have a nice view of trees and birds and critters, and Butterfly has seen her first bunny, which completely blew her mind. Which reminds me, right before we moved out of the rental, Marigold spotted a turtle crawling across the patio and it undid her for the whole morning: flattened ears, arched back, puffy tail... the whole bit. Wildlife encounters can be challenging. 

Thank you for the support, see y'all when I wake up!


13 comments:

  1. Enjoy your well-deserved rest!

    Here's my kitty & wildlife story:
    Boo Kitteh & I moved in with my mom after my dad passed on & I had to have surgery. The apartment has a small enclosed patio where my parents had bird feeders & tossed out food for the squirrels & chipmunks.
    Boo is VERY much an indoor cat. He runs & hides if we open the door to "out there." His primal instincts kick in once in a while and he caroms off the (thankfully closed) windows when he hears a bird.
    We thought maybe he'd like the patio, so we left the sliding door open a bit for him to look out. That lasted until he came nose to nose with a curious chipmunk. My big chicken let out a terrified shriek & nearly fainted before running to hide under my bed! (I gave the munk a peanut and he wandered off chittering gleefully)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you are having some lovely moments with your babies.
    Moving is always a test of the mind , but I am sure you are in full control ,enjoy the nice parts .
    All the best June.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rest & relax awhile before you start unpacking.
    The girls are becoming so pretty!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are in and with the door shut, Honeybee! Moving is a test of patience for sure, but now it is behind you for now. Enjoy your new place and I'll see you when you come out of hibernation. Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you are in your new home and the stress of moving is behind you. Hope you can have a restful recovery hibernation, and then you can really enjoy settling into your new home. Your kitties are really pretty - hope they like their new home too!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. You really have earned the respite, Honeybee... the negatives will slide out of memory and
    discovering the new environment should perk up your interests and energy. Enjoy the little
    ones as they make their "discoveries" as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh Honeybee the intense looks on their faces, what a treat for them.
    I hope unpacking goes smoothly and you are back to stitching soon.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love those intense faces. Congratulations on your move. So much easier when you have every thing in one place. Have a nice rest and enjoy your new place. I am sure the kitties will make you laugh often as they discover the new place, sounds, smells and sights.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to hear you could shut the door! Hopefully you'll be able to stay put for a while. Your kitties are cuties!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good to hear you are in and the door is shut. Now relax. Sometimes I thought about moving but then I think about the attic and the cellar and say: No, I stay where I am.
    The kitties will have fun and you some good laughs when they discover the new place.
    When I look at them I think there is a bit Maine Coon in them.
    Enjoy and have a great day.
    Greetings, Gabi

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad you have another settled home - good view for the beautiful kitties - they look ready for mischief and I bet they've enjoyed every one of the boxes you've unpacked! Hope you soon get sorted and can relax - and show us all around. Have a lovely time together, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am glad you and your babies are all moved. Enjoy your new home. big hugs all around Lynda Ruth

    ReplyDelete