29 August 2023

End of Summer Stash Update


My Year of Winter stitching has been on pause while we moved and I put the house back together. With all of that going on, the only stitching time available had to be devoted to Christmas Open House, which I'm happy to say is coming along nicely. I'm not quite where I wanted to be by the end of summer, but I'm not far off. Given the circumstances, I think I'm okay with it. It's just so annoying when responsibilities get in the way of stitching!

I've been stash shopping here and there since the spring and have accumulated some goodies, so it's time for an update. Let's see what's new in the sewing room!

First, the kits I got to celebrate surviving yet another move. This is my "Yay, Me!" stash. Can you tell I'm missing fall and winter? These are from some Ukrainian shops on Etsy. They take a while to arrive for obvious reasons, but I've found them to be reliable.


Next, I did something I haven't done in years. I bought a copy of the Just Cross Stitch Halloween special issue. Years ago, back when JCS was still owned by Hoffman, I bought the Christmas ornament and Halloween issues every year, and usually one or two regular issues a year. I stopped buying the Christmas ornament issue after 2020, after having bought them every year since the first one in 1997. I hadn't bought a Halloween issue since 2017. I flipped through this year's issue and was pleasantly surprised to find a few little things I would stitch so in a wave of nostalgia, I bought a copy. I miss getting those every year, but for me, the magazines just aren't what they used to be.

I especially like this little guy. Such a unique combination of weird, spooky, and cute. I don't know if I'll be able to do any Halloween stitching this year; it depends on how the rest of the Christmas Open House stitching goes. If I'm close to being finished in October, I might sneak in a project or two.


Of course, with Halloween on my mind, I had to lay in some spooky fabrics. Top to bottom (all PTP fabrics from 123 Stitch): Monster Mash, Mirage, Murky.

Of all the stitchy things to hoard, I tend to squirrel away fabric more than charts or threads. Especially in the last few years, fabric availability seems to be hit or miss, so when I see something I know I'll need for a future project, or even just something I really like, I get it and lay it by. Here are some fabrics I got recently with spring and summer stitching in mind. Left to right: Zweigart Orchid and Lemon, and Sherwood Forest from this Etsy shop. Isn't that a pretty green? I cannot resist green fabric and let's be honest, I don't really try.

Back in the spring I found this little case in the knitting section at Hobby Lobby. It had a plastic insert in the middle with holes in it but I surgically removed it. It's perfect for an ornament-sized project. The front and back have very roomy zipper pockets that will hold a 6" qsnap, and the inside will also hold a 6" qsnap and 12 floss bobbins. For its size, it will hold a lot of stuff.



Lastly, a sunny little bauble. A lot of Etsy shops have these and they are actually supposed to be thread keeps, but I use them to decorate my project bags. Not essential, just pretty. Sometimes you just need to go to the mailbox and have something cheerful waiting for you. And really, one of the best things about a hobby is the toys that go with it!

So that's what's new around here. Thought I'd show y'all some goodies since I can't show you stitching (it's a surprise!) and you may be getting tired of kitties! This is still a stitching blog, after all! 


Happy Stitching!



8 comments:

  1. I Could never get tired of hearing of your babies.
    Lots of eye candy here the fabric and patterns are wonderful.
    I am looking forward to seeing what you do with the fabrics.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never get tired hearing of the babies.
    Wonderful fabrics you found.
    Greetings, Gabi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great fabric finds!
    You find the coolest things to enable us. :)
    I agree, the JCS Halloween & Christmas Ornament issues aren't what they used to be.
    A lot of the designers I've never heard of.
    We never get tired of seeing the girls.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful assortment of stash goodies that you have purchased, Honeybee! Love the fabrics! The shop where you purchased some of your fabrics is one of my favorites especially now that she is expanding her fabrics offerings to linen and evenweaves (lugana/linda). That is a lovely green. Your sunflower thread ring is a pretty one. What a great pouch you found! Thinking of you and praying that you are not greatly impacted by the hurricane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're fine, thank you! We could see just the edge of the wind field on the horizon this morning.

      Delete
  5. Wow lovely post again , love the fabrics the charts and goodies .
    Enjoy your Autumn hugs June.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those kits are fantastic, especially the squirrels on the bench. I love all the fabrics that you purchased.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love seeing your new stash- you chose some beautiful fabrics! The kits are lovely too. Needlework has some wonderful accessories, it's always fun to get something pretty or cute. Although I love to see your posts about needlework, I enjoy seeing updates about your kitties too. As usual, I look forward to your Christmas Open House. Hard to believe it's already September. Hope you have a happy and relaxing Labor Day weekend.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete