27 October 2017

Playing with Jax Update: Quilt and Sampler Pumpkins

First of all, thank you so much for your kind comments on my last post about Mr. Wonderful being gone for six weeks. I really appreciate them. I told him that since he will be gone, we'll probably have a freak November snowstorm and I'll come down with my quadrennial cold. Fingers crossed everything goes smoothly, because if you are or have ever been a military wife, you know what happens when the guys leave!

Anyway, I'm speeding along on Playing with Jax, trying to finish up by the end of the month so I can plunge into my Joy projects. Three pumpkins down, two to go! 

My changes:

Quilt Pumpkin (left front pumpkin):
310--changed to--> 3011
844-->3012
3022-->3032
927-->3042
926-->3740
stem-->869
*****
Sampler Pumpkin (left back pumpkin):
3813-->738
letters-->Autumn Bouquet (stitched using the mismatched method; see this post)
stem-->869



My thinking behind the changes I'm making is not so much a color conversion as a color adjustment. I wanted the overall look of all the pumpkins to be closer to the silk used in the leaves on Forest Pumpkin, so I'm making changes as I go, as opposed to plotting out in advance an entirely new color scheme, as I would with a conversion. Forest Pumpkin has a "soft" look to it, and when I started stitching the Quilt Pumpkin, the black in it seemed too harsh so I switched it to dark green. In the original chart, the black is nicely balanced with the black features on the center pumpkin. I also used the silk in the letters on the Sampler Pumpkin, to tie them together a bit. 

I'm happy with how this is going so far. Although I didn't really intend it, it looks like it's turning out to be a "purple conversion" of Playing with Jax. I hope to have it finished by the beginning of November. Stay tuned!

5 comments:

  1. I am loving your color enhancement of this design, Honeybee. Because of you and this project, it convinced me that I needed to have the chart come live at my house. It should be here soon. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to go back and look at the pattern to fully appreciate the changes you are making. They are inspired! This is going to be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks so pretty & the colours you have chosen look great.
    Kay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just got the pattern and am interested in the middle pumpkin conversion. Where do I find the chart for it please?

    ReplyDelete