26 October 2018

New Sparkly DMC

As you've probably heard, DMC just released a new 35-color line of sparkly threads called Mouline Etoile. The full set in a "collector's" tin is *cough* 70 bucks *cough*. I wasn't inclined to spend that much on a new, never-before-seen, never-before-stitched-with thread, and especially not since it seemed to be so difficult to find a good, clear, close-up picture of it that wasn't cluttered up with little star shapes or animated sparkles. I understand how difficult it is to capture sparkles in a photograph, so if you tell me it sparkles, I believe you, but I wanna see the texture of the thread! So here's my public service for the day: a close-up of the new thread (minus pretend sparkles)!

I found a shop on Etsy that had a limited supply of Blanc, so I was able to purchase just one skein and have a look at it. As you can see, it looks a bit "wooly" compared to regular DMC and the Blanc reads more as a very light grey, due to the silver metallic in it. It is pretty sparkly, much more so than the picture shows, but I think you can see the texture well. I separated out the strands in this picture so you can them better.

I haven't stitched with it yet, but there are two things I'm curious about: 1) will the metallic filament separate from the cotton during stitching and be a pain? and 2) if used with regular DMC, how noticeable will the difference in texture be, and will it matter?

I'll post an update when I've had a chance to stitch with it. 

Thanks so much for all the kind comments about Clover and Lace. When I said this on Monday:

"I hope--hope--to have a quiet week in the sewing room, finishing and framing"

I should have known I was tempting fate. Sure enough, my week went sideways. I got my flu shot on Tuesday afternoon (big fan of herd immunity... also of not dying of a preventable illness) and within an hour and a half, boy, was I feeling it. (Mr. Wonderful said I got a good one... LOL!) I've never had any side effects from a flu shot before, other than having a sore arm and being tired, but this one hit me hard. I had fever for about 12 hours, and spent Wednesday in bed. No cause for alarm, as it's just the immune system doing its job, but man did it mess up my plans to play in my sewing room all week. I'm all back to normal now, but I won't promise to have goodies to show because it seems every time I do that, I am overtaken by events. So, if I show up with a finish or two, it will be a surprise... to both of us!

Have a great weekend, y'all!

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the closest shots of this new thread, Honeybee! I look forward to hearing/reading your thoughts on how it stitches. Sorry to hear about the effects following your flu shot. Have a restful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this news! I guess I was late to the party as I had not heard of this new addition to the DMC line. I have had issues with the flu shot as well but this year only a sore arm. Hope you get your finishing done this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was smart to get just 1 skein to try.
    I'm a bit unsure about it, looks like it might be a pain to stitch with.
    We all look forward to your review.
    I also got the flu shot, and am feeling a bit "off".
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea to get one skein to try out. It looks very interesting and I to have the same thoughts on that floss.
    Look forward to your review and thoughts on the new sparkle floss.
    Any sneak peeks on your Christmas stitching plans for this year. Enjoy your show and tell each year.
    Have you ever come up with a plan of what your are stitchin for the Primative hare snowflake fabric yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No sneak peeks on the Christmas Open House, but I'm hard at work on it! Thanks for asking. :O)
      I think I've made up my mind on the design for the Snowfall fabric, but it requires not only a color conversion, but flipping the design! So there's a lot of work before I can even begin stitching. I'm hoping to start it early next year. (Fingers crossed!)

      Delete
  5. Feel better soon!

    I caved and bought the tin of 'sparklies' from 123Stitch earlier today. At a glance they appeared to offer a better price that I'd seen elsewhere, so I just went for it. I so totally agree that the fake twinkly sparkles (animated) in the DMC pages are not helpful. I'm looking forward to your updated review when you have a chance to stitch with it. I wonder if the thread is more loosely woven so the sparkly part doesn't get stretched out?

    I'm looking forward to seeing if this floss will be fun with the new CCN Glitter Village. There seems to be enough soft colors in the tin for this...can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am looking forward to your assessment of the thread once you have actually stitched with it. It is nice to have a seasoned stitcher (not just the sales people) tell you how wonderful (or not) the thread might be to work with.

    ReplyDelete