10 December 2020

Six Nice Things

Hey, y'all. How's everybody doing? I think we're better here, but more on that at the end of the post in case you prefer to skip it. I want this to be a stress-free and pleasant place for everyone, but some have very kindly asked after my dad and I'd like to provide an update.

Speaking of pleasantness, I have some nice things for y'all... Ready?

1) It is about to get seriously Christmasy on this blog. The sewing room is tidy, the finishes box is out, and I am in a finishing zone. First in line: our 2020 Christmas ornaments, and my 2019 ornament (how did that get left unfinished?!). And so much more! Will I get it all done? Stay tuned to find out!

2) Super cool fabric. In a moment of madness, I started a sort of large-ish Christmas project even though I already have plenty to stitch (and do!) two and a half weeks before Christmas. Because I wanted to use this fabric. Makes sense. This is Whitewashed Board from Fabric Flair available here. I believe it's also available in 32 ct. and 14 ct. Aida. I can't wait to show y'all this project!

Overseeing my work.

My other project, on a delicious mint green fabric (one whole row of progress before I started the one above!).


3) Freebies. There are a couple of "freebies-in-progress" at the moment and you may want to check them out.

With thy Needle & Thread is running a free SAL called Merry & Minty. It's a four part SAL on her Facebook page, but you do not have to have an account to access the charts. 

And there's a 12 Days of Christmas freebie series ongoing. It has a basic color scheme that would be easy and fun to customize.

4) Comfort food. One of my favorite comfort foods is my mom's spaghetti (below), but I also looove chicken spaghetti. This is the recipe I use, although I bake chicken breasts to use in it instead of boiling a whole chicken. It's delicious and it makes a ton. I could eat the whole dish by myself. (But my mom's is still my favorite.)

5) Cinnamon Cake. If you're watching carbs, I just came up with a cinnamon variation on my standby Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake recipe. Simply add 1/4 tsp. cinnamon and swap cinnamon chips for chocolate chips and ta-da! Sort of like a mini, lower carb coffee cake. Mr. Wonderful says he likes it even better than the chocolate chip.


6) The top of Tiger Lily's head. So smoochable. 


Hope one of today's goodies has taken your fancy and brightened your day! Have a good one!

Update:

My dad was finally able to move out of the hospital to a (different) rehab center this past Monday. We are much more comfortable with this new facility than the one he went to initially, but he still has a long road ahead. He went into the hospital, strong and healthy, on 30 October for a serious but not uncommon surgery that should have required only an overnight stay. And here we are nearly six weeks later. It has been nightmarish, but the Lord has blessed us in so many ways over these difficult weeks. I so appreciate your kind words and your prayers. Y'all are one of my blessings. Thank you.


12 comments:

  1. So sorry about your Father hope he gets better very soon.

    lovely stitching and love the new materials .
    Tiger lily is so sweet , also cooking looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute Christmas stitchy projects.
    That looks just like my Mom's spaghetti, it's the best!
    Yummy cake, & Tiger Lily is so very pretty.
    Continued prayers for your Dad.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so very sorry about your Dad. I will be praying for him and you all.
    I love that Whitewashed Board fabric!
    Give Tiger Lily a big hug and kiss from me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honeybee, thank you for the update on your Dad. Continuing to keep him in my prayers. Looking forward to seeing your ornament finishes and progress on your Christmas stitches. I have used that washboard fabric on a previous project. Hope you enjoy stitching on it. Your cinnamon cake looks delicious. Please give Tiger Lily a big smooch from me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the update about your Dad. It sounds like it's been a very stressful 6 weeks. It's scary when things go so wrong like that. I'm happy to hear your Dad is now in a better rehab place. I hope that the rest of his recovery goes smoothly. I'll continue to keep all of you in my prayers.
    This is a very fun post- I love your new fabrics, and look forward to seeing what you're stitching! Thank you for the freebie links, and the recipes, too. Tiger Lily is so pretty- my sweet dog has a similar smoochable spot!
    Take care.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Honeybee :) Thank you for all of the treats! Your Christmas ornaments are beautiful, I look forward to seeing how you finish them. I will try the tiny cinnamon-chip cake recipe, it looks so good. Tiger Lily is the prettiest Cat I ever see! I hope you dad will be all better soon. I will say a prayer for that. Take care, stay well.
    (Potpie sends a happy snort.) Melanie
    (Forgive me please, I posted a variation of this at first, in error, to an older blog post.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cinnamon cake sounds divine and if we could get cinnamon chips (whatever they are!) in England I would be trying it. I hope that your dad gets the best of care at his new facility. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to here your dad is making progress in the new facility! It's been a very tough year for many of us with our parents and dealing with their health issues while the pandemic is surrounding everything.

    Your cake sure looks tasty. I'm not baking nearly as much for Christmas this year and I really miss it! Have a good weekend and best wishes to your dear dad!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Continuing prayers for your family and you!! We went through a situation with my sister needing to be in rehab earlier this year and the place was horrible so I think I can relate to what you've been going through a bit.

    Love your stitching and that needleminder is adorable :) So is Miss Tiger Lily :) Looking forward to seeing how you finish your ornaments and am very curious about your new Christmas project!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, I'm curious to know the name of the chart for the Santa Claus in the first picture. And which fabric did you stitch it on?
    Thank you.
    Merry Christmas.
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's from this year's Just Cross Stitch Christmas Ornament issue. I stitched it on 32 ct. grey/white Basalt Splash from Zweigart. Merry Christmas to you, too!

      Delete
    2. Thank you. It looks lovely. Well done.
      Christmas greetings from British Columbia, Canada 🇨🇦

      Delete