18 February 2021

How to Remove Ghost Stitches

I have no idea what these little holes that remain after stitches are removed are called, but I call them ghost stitches and I find them annoying. Happily, they are easily removed. With your fingernail, gently scratch the fabric up and down, and side to side, to move the fibers back into place. You usually only have to do this on the bottom side of your fabric, but sometimes a few scratches on the top side might be needed. The up and down scratches move the horizontal fibers and the side to side scratches move the vertical fibers.

Before:

After:


A very simple solution to a not-very-serious problem, but some readers may be new to stitching and you never know when sharing something you do as a matter of habit or instinct may be just what someone else needed. This is as true in life as it is in stitching, so always share your knowledge!

12 comments:

  1. I never knew that! Thank you so much for this tip, and I am not at all new to stitching and have always been bugged by them. Ghost stitches is such a great name too. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super tip about banishing those ghost stitches which sounds better than frogged out or ripped out area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful tip! Thank you for sharing this!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've also found that if you loosely wrap some Scotch tape around your index finger (sticky side out) and dab it up and down over the ghost stitches it tends to tighten the holes. This technique also removes the bits of floss left after frogging. Try it and see if it helps. Adele

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually just push the other threads above or below with my needle😉

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thankfully, I so far have not had to remove stitches that weren't going to be covered by other stitches, but I have had to do this sometimes when I mark the center hole with my needle. Thanks for this tip though. I am sure I will need it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea , I also use Sticky tape on the back to get any old thread bits from there.
    Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have done this before and find it works really well too. Ghost stitches is a perfect name for them! Hope you are all doing well, and your Dad continues to make good progress with his recovery. Take care.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you! I was just fretting about the holes left when I decided to move a rabbit over to a new place in a design I'm stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great tip...hate those little holes! Also, its great to use tape to grab all the little bits of fuzz that is left behind when frogging.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dobra robota, nie wiedziałam o tym sposobie:)

    ReplyDelete