01 September 2022

Autumn in the Tropics


You've probably figured out from pictures of our backyard that we're no longer in a climate that has proper seasons. While we're not actually in the tropics, we're much closer than we've been in many years and much closer than we prefer. But you go where the military sends you and you make it work. There are things about the climate here that I like. It rains a lot and I love that, and I'm the one weirdo that doesn't really mind the humidity (waving at my fellow dry skin girls). But I will miss autumn and winter so much. Even though we're from a hot climate, we've been away so long that it feels a bit strange to be putting out fall decorations when you can look out your window and see palm trees. I did, however, put out some fall decorations. And I got a new fall tablecloth. And I've been busy in the kitchen all day, getting food and snacks ready for the start of college football this weekend. And with all that, it does kinda look like fall, but man it doesn't feel like fall. How I'm going to miss that snap of chill in the air and the leaves turning. Oh well. It's not forever, and it's as good a time as any to practice being focused on the good right under my nose rather than on where I'd rather be instead.



Bonus recipe!

This snack mix is delicious and addictive but it is quite spicy, so bear that in mind if you have a low tolerance for heat or if little ones will be eating it.

Spicy Snack Mix

1 box Cheez-Its
1 bag goldfish crackers
1 bag pretzels 
1/2 - 3/4 c. oil
5 Tbsp. Hidden Valley Ranch seasoning
1/2 Tbsp. your favorite steak seasoning
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. dill

Combine crackers and pretzels in a large bowl and toss with oil until well coated. Mix seasonings and add to snack mix, stirring well to evenly coat. Spread on foil-lined cookie sheets (don't overfill) and bake at 200 for about an hour. Cool completely before storing in airtight container. *You can give it a stir halfway through the baking time, but it's probably not necessary if you've spread it out enough. I had three cookie sheets full, so it does tie up your oven for a while.

Happy Fall! And to those who celebrate, Happy College Football Season!

14 comments:

  1. I live in the Philadelphia suburbs and am fortunate to have all 4 seasons. I love them all but autumn is definitely my favorite.. We have had a good summer. I sit outside for hours a day and we've had great breezes. Happy Labor Day weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love college football season! My favorite thing years ago was to set up my stitching spot and watch all weekend! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those little doggie canapes look tempting... hope you have a great and delicious football weekend, Honeybee....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy your fall and your football.
    Hubby and I are enjoying our UK football to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooooo, those snacks look so delicious.
    I think you have Fall down.
    Thanks for the recipe.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you see this?

    https://www.stitchesnthings.com/detail.cfm?ID=77753

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could do just the Fox, not a stocking.
      It's pretty!
      Marilyn

      Delete
  7. A few of our retired friends are trying to get us to retire near them. One couple lives in southern Florida and another in Arizona. I really don't love heat and humidity year round. We get enough of that in summer on Long Island. I like the all 4 seasons so we will be keeping our home base in the Northeast. Of course it helps that our daughter lives in New England. We may try to have another small retirement place on the West Coast too where our son lives. I can't imagine trying to get in the fall and winter moods in a tropical place. I know that you will make the best of it as that is what you must do. I greatly appreciate your family's service.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Honeybee: I love fall but prefer the heat and humidity, I am a cold blooded woman.
    The snack mix sounds yummy, we love heat and cayenne pepper.
    Thank-you for sharing with us.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love Love Love college football. We are Missouri, Okla State and Arkansas fans, but we will watch any. Also NFL and listen to the local high school on Friday night. Nothing better than stitching and football. So sorry you don't get the 4 seasons right now. Quite an extreme change. Have you found a local needle shop?

    ReplyDelete