06 January 2024

Reclaiming Christmas

 

Longtime readers will know that I keep my blog a calm, peaceful, happy place. I want it to be a refuge from upsetting things, a place you can visit any time and not have to worry about being unexpectedly confronted with sad or worrying or angry subjects. There was one exception to that practice, that being the loss of my dad, and even then I shared very little about how and why we lost him. This post is not about those details, which are intensely personal and painful. It's about grief, and holidays--specifically Christmas--and it has a happy ending. But I wanted to let you know, in case you'd rather skip this post. 

My dad had a complicated but very successful surgery at the beginning of November 2020. By Christmas 2020, it was obvious that due to several circumstances out of our control--namely pandemic protocols before and after his surgery--his recovery was not progressing as it should. He spent all of 2021 bedridden. Two days after Christmas 2021, he entered the hospital for the last time, and passed away on New Year's Day 2022. It was a tragedy--an injustice--and it should not have happened the way it did. Christmas 2022 was our first without him. 

So for the last three years, Christmas has been very, very hard. 

Now you all know that I am a Christmas girl to my core. I love Christmas. We had a Christmas wedding. I love the week between Christmas and the New Year. I love New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. It's my favorite time of year. It seems particularly cruel that all of this would happen at Christmas, but life can be that way, and no one reading this has escaped that cruelty in one way or another.

The holidays are hard for a lot of people, especially if they've suffered a loss, and especially if that loss was near a favorite holiday or special occasion. Many people cope by pulling back from those holidays, sometimes skipping celebrations all together. Sometimes that pulling back is temporary, sometimes it's permanent, and they never again celebrate in the way they used to. I have zero interest in telling people how to grieve, or how to navigate holidays. But I'd like to share what we did.

At the beginning of November, along with the approach of the holidays, those painful anniversaries were looming. They are a fact now. They will come with every Christmas from now on. On the way to worship one Sunday morning, I told Mr. Wonderful, somewhat weepy (me, not him), that I thought I wanted to make Christmas bigger this year, in an effort to increase the ratio of good to bad, sort of overwhelm the negative in a big, sparkly avalanche of Christmas. Bigger, not in terms of money spent, but in terms of what we call at our house "Christmassing." Mr. Wonderful was all in, and we were off.

Oh my, were we off. We started Veterans' Day weekend. He had some time off, and we began by just wandering aimlessly from store to store, looking at all the decorations, talking about what we might want to do this year, having lunch. We had a really lovely day. It was a good time to do it because it's early in the season and everything is well-stocked and not very crowded. We've never done that before as I'm usually the one who scouts all the Christmas stuff while he's at work, but we made a new tradition. And we committed to Christmas as hard as we could (that's Christmas as a verb, mind you, as in "Christmassing hard").

A few days later, in a moment of Christmas insanity, I revealed my idea to have an open house for the entire squadron... in a month's time. Mr. Wonderful was on it like a duck on a June bug, whipping up an invitation before I could come to my senses and change my mind. The now-famous Cookie Drop-In was born.

We didn't do anything halfway. All the decorations. All the lights. Lights and wreaths and garlands out front, lights and an inflatable Christmas kitty in the backyard (I said it was for the babies to look at, but Toasty became this year's mascot for us). Two Christmas trees. Twenty-six dozen cookies. Parties. Music. Food. Everything.

It was a wonderful Christmas. 

Did the grief break through at times? Of course. But it will break through forever. It's now a part of our lives. What happened cannot un-happen. So, what to do with it? Well, after three years, I looked at that big lump of awful sitting in the middle of my favorite holiday and decided to slap some lights on it and make cookies.

My dad would love it. My dad does love it.


33 comments:

  1. Dearest Honeybee, totally get it and I love you & your DH's "Christmassing" 💓

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, what a wonderful post. Some things you wrote are really familiar for me. Have a happy time.
    Greetings, Gabi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been there a few times , so I fully understand .
    It does get better , but you never forget , I lost Mom Dad and my beautiful Daughter and unborn son . The pain is still here after many years , but I talk to them many times . Little things like a Robin a, white feather and a rainbow send us a message throughout the year .
    Big Hugs June.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Honeybee, thank you for sharing this. You took on the Christmassing and honored your Dad. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Honeybee, ((((((HUGS))))))
    I know how you feel.
    My Mom has been gone for 30 years, & I miss her most st Christmas.
    Going to her house Christmas day, seeing her in her red turtleneck, Christmas apron & jewelry, & the big plate of cookies on her table.
    I still miss it every year.
    I'm glad you did Christmas like you did, especially the Cookie Drop-In.
    You made the squadron so happy doing that, I'm sure!
    You keep doing Christmas big!
    So sorry to hear about your Dad.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. And this is why your blog is my favorite!
    Covid was so devastating even for people who didn't have it because of all the fear and repercussions. I nearly died because I had sepsis that went on and undiagnosed for longer than it should have thanks to Covid. I won't go into the details.
    I am happy that you have begun to enjoy Christmas again and spread the cheer to so many otherss. I am sure you touched the lives of some who are invisibly hurting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. I'm so glad you're still here.

      Delete
  7. Thank you for your inspiration .i lost my husband 2 years ago and it will never be the same. I try to welcome change but sometimes it’s just hard. Thanks for the kick start.
    Happy New Year
    Darlene N

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Darlene. Sending gentle hugs. Be kind to yourself, sweetie.

      Delete
  8. Thank you for such a wonderful blog post. We lost my grandfather on Christmas Eve 22 years ago and you explained so many feelings that happen every year at this time. I do hope your new traditions will give you comfort in your most favorite season. ((((hugs))))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for your wonderful post. Christmas is a beautiful holiday. Memories come back to me, of when we were kids, and all the Christmases my parents were visiting us after I married and had a family. We did not live close by each other, so I cherished every moment. I still think about them at Christmas, and I always will. My mother is gone since 2001, after my dad. Just cherish those wonderful memories of your dad. He is with you always. Happy New Year to you.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing this post, Honeybee. I love that you and your husband are Christmassing and building new traditions to help with the loss of your dear dad...hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for this post. I have lost almost all my family and Christmas has been so hard for me for several years. I think after reading this I know what my new year resolution should be and plan on starting now. I will find a group to celebrate with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, sweetie. I will pray that you find what you need. Sending gentle hugs.

      Delete
  12. I hear you. My husband of 38 years lost his father Christmas Eve, 2021. I say lost, but in reality he was killed-- by the nurses on his memory care unit who came to work ill, because they were not willing to stay home when they got sick because they wanted that sweet, sweet Christmas overtime.
    They then denied any of the family access as he lay dying of suffocation, despite his elderly wife's begging in the name of Jesus to let her in the room to hold his hand and kiss him goodbye.
    No.
    This is what our "healthcare" is these days. Callous. Rule-bound. Indifferent. and ignorant beyond belief.
    Maybe it gets better. Or maybe there's always a hole.
    Everyone does grieve differently. It's comforting to see someone find joy in the face of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry. There are so many stories like ours. You're not alone. Youre

      Delete
  13. Thank you so much for sharing this. I love your idea to make Christmas even bigger to kind of overwhelm the difficult and painful anniversaries that are now are a part of the holiday time as well. It's neat that in doing this you've started some new and fun Christmas traditions also. It's a beautiful way to honor the love for your Dad as well. I hope you have a happy and peaceful new year.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary. A peaceful New Year to you, also.

      Delete
  14. Boy could I relate to this post. Fall & the holidays have always been my favorite time of year. I lost my father on Thanksgiving Day 2022 after a 3 day hospitalization. It has been difficult the last 2 years celebrating this time of year. I think next year I will take your approach. Thanks for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Kathy, I'm sorry. I hope you can find the joy again.

      Delete
  15. Thank you for this. God bless you

    ReplyDelete