11 October 2019

Bead Trim for Ornaments

I've been wanting a bead trim option for my ornaments for some time now, and I finally found one I like. As is usual for me, it's an adaptation and is not actually bead trim at all--it's for jewelry making, but I think it works.

I referred to this tutorial, but of course left off the jewelry findings on the ends. I used SuperDuo beads and regular Mill Hill seed beads, and used tiny sequin pins to attach the trim to the ornament. I then used a Sharpie that matched the seed beads to dot the pin heads to conceal them. 


These are what the beads look like. I had these in my stash for a while, having bought them because I liked the colors and thinking I would eventually figure out how to use them for finishing. Not being a jewelry maker, I had no idea, so I asked a lady shopping in the bead aisle who looked like she knew what she was doing. She very kindly gave me an idea about stringing them, and that was enough to put me on the right track. 

I needed a 15" length of trim for this ornament and although it was a bit fiddly and slow at first, I did get the hang of the two needles and got faster toward the end. I'm happy with how it turned out and already have my eye on this bead trim for another of my ornaments. 

11 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous beaded edging you created for this ornament, Honeybee! Love it! I hope you will share how you created it down the road. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin! There's a link to the tutorial in the post. It's easier than it looks, thankfully!

      Delete
  2. That is simply gorgeous. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful! But, I don't understand how you attached the trim? What did you put the pins through, the seed beads? And I'm a beader! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terri! There's a tiny space in between the pink beads and I just wedged a sequin pin in there, every 4 beads.

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous. Love how you figured it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a beautiful elegant finish! And it really shows off the pretty stitching too.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very clever and very professional looking, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a beautiful finish.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, this is a lovely ornament.

    ReplyDelete