07 October 2019

Crocheted Doily Ornament Finish

So. Last October's flu shot knocked me on my backside and derailed plans I had made to do a bunch of finishing and framing that week.

This year, I was smart, and came up with my Flu Shot Plot. I spent a few days getting all my housework and a bunch of cooking done, just in case I did another post-shot face plant. But the cleverest part of my plot was this: if I didn't end up sleeping for two days... all my stuff would already be done and I could spend the week playing in my sewing room! 

I am happy to report that it's play time! I got my shot yesterday, and apart from a sore arm and some heavy duty napping yesterday afternoon, I've had no side effects and I'm ready to do some finishing! Hooray! It's been way too long and I am way too behind. I'm so looking forward to being in my sewing room, making a mess, and sharing the results with y'all.

I decided not to over-do it today, though. I did some tidying up in there... because it's always important to tidy up before you make a big mess. And I whipped out a super simple ornament using my September Christmas Ornament SAL finish that I showed last week. 


This finish is as easy as falling off a log. I found the little craft doily on clearance at Jo-Ann's for 97 cents. I've seen these craft doilies at Hobby Lobby, too. You can usually find them in white or ivory, and they come in various sizes. I just gave this one a little spritz with spray starch, ironed it, and glued my finish on--that's it! Inexpensive, simple, fast. This finish can be completed in just minutes.

Just so y'all can see what a difference the starch makes, here are before and after pictures of the little doily I used for this finish.


Finishing doesn't always have to be elaborate and time-consuming. Sometimes the most satisfying finishes are the simplest.

11 comments:

  1. Well done on your simply elegant finish, Honeybee! It looks fabulous. Glad to hear that you haven't had the same ill effects from this year's shots. Good for you on coming up with a pre-shot game plan! Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sweet is that. I'll have to remember this for next year as I have lots of vintage doilies from my mother-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Snap! I had my flu jab this afternoon and my arm is pretty sore. I like your simple finish, very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My arm was sore for two days this year. That was my only side effect.
    I like this idea! Looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what a great idea! Thanks for sharing. One of those things you don't think about until someone tells you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is too cute, thanks for sharing the ides.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that is perfect. And I have some old doilies just laying about that I did not know what to do with. Maybe I can incorporate them into some finishing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a simple & beautiful finishing idea! It's lovely & really shows off your stitching. It's nice you didn't have bad side effects from the flu shot this year & can focus on finishing. Hope you enjoy the week!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. How pretty! I agree - sometimes it's surprising how a simple finish is the most satisfying. And 97 cents? Heck yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad your reaction to the flu shot this year was better than last year's. We got our flu shots along with the first (of the series) shingles shots at the same time and one of them knocked us off our feet. (It really wasn't all that bad but the most reaction I've ever had to an immunization and certainly much better than getting the flu or shingles.) We go back for our second shingles shot in a couple of weeks. I love your finishing idea with the doilies!

    ReplyDelete