18 December 2023

Dear Santa: Day One

 

Welcome, welcome, welcome to my 10th annual Christmas Open House! I can't believe I've been doing this for ten years, and I really can't believe I pulled it off this year. I think I've said that for each of the last few years, but life has dealt us a run of stormy weather that seems to have lasted much longer than necessary!

I'm so glad you're here to help me celebrate ten years of this tradition. Many of you cheer me on throughout the year when I mention Open House preparations, and I really do appreciate the encouragement and excitement you share. Thank you for being here, this week and all year long. And with that said, let's get going! The sewing room and kitchen are open, so settle in for a week of very enthusiastic Christmassing!

This year's theme is Dear Santa.  When deciding on a theme for the 10th year, I could think of nothing more perfect than the man himself, Santa Claus. I rummaged through my stash and chose some of my favorite Santas that I hadn't stitched yet, and set to work. My first finish is St. Nicholas and the Snowy Owl from Santa's Great Book by Leisure Arts. I stitched him with the recommended DMC on 32 count grey Basalt Splash.



I have to say it--at the risk of tooting my own horn--I absolutely love this finish. I've wanted to stitch this design for so long and I'm so happy with how it turned out. Isn't it fun when the right design meets the perfect fabric and you actually get it stitched and framed and can fully enjoy it? I love that!

Now then. I promised some extra Christmas hospitality, so in addition to my Open House here on the ol' blog, you're all coming along to my in-real-life Open House!

This year, we hosted a Christmas Cookie Drop-In for the entire squadron! Here's the invitation flyer: 

I put on my trusty back brace, baked for two days, and made 26 dozen cookies (blink, blink). How's that for Christmas cheer?! This week you'll be in on the big event from start to finish and get a few new cookie recipes to go with some old favorites I've shared in the past.

Come on in!







Make yourselves at home! We're off and running! Or rather, moseying contentedly, cookie in one hand, cozy beverage in the other. Come on back tomorrow for a color conversion Santa that's been on the books for years. And cookies. Sooo many cookies.


12 comments:

  1. Beautiful Santa and table runner. That’s a lot of cookies. I hope everyone appreciated all your hard work.

    We just put up the tree this weekend. Crazy year here also. I’ve been looking forward to your open house. It’s one of my favorite Christmas traditions.

    Patti (Alansmom)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been so excited about your open house, as I am every year! Thanks so much for doing this! Santa is beautiful and I can just imagine that your guests left with their sweet tooths very satisfied.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful start to your Open House, Honeybee! Your tablescape with the cookies looks fantastic. I will just park myself on your vintage kitchen chair with a cookie and beverage. Your Santa with the owl is a beauty. I can't believe that this is year 10 of your Open House.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr. Owl seated in front of your finished Santa masterpiece is the perfect complement..you
    pulled the whole thing off to perfection... Those cookies look yummy.....Many thanks for
    this tenth year effort....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every room, every stitching, every cookie is perfect! You are an amazing host! Can't wait for what is ahead! Peace, Tina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, Honeybee: The Santa and Owl are beautiful and framed perfectly.
    Thank-you for sharing the cookie table, I am not much of a baker but love seeing Christmas cookies that others have made.
    Beautiful tree, do the babies leave it alone or are they like Blondie my cat she loves to climb and chew on the branches I have to spray with pine scent to keep her away.
    Have a beautiful day, looking forward to your next post.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a great first day of your Open House! I really like your Dear Santa theme, and your St. Nicholas and the Snowy Owl piece is gorgeous. That's a great idea to have a Christmas Cookie Drop-in. The cookies look delicious, and it's so nice to see parts of your home as well. I'm sure that was a fun event. I look forward to your next post.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Santa piece is gorgeous on that Basalt fabric.
    How generous of you to have a Cookie Drop In.
    Your house looks fabulous all decorated for the season.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Santa and Owl are stunning. WOW what a lot of cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on your 10 year anniversary!!! And thank you for sharing it with us!! I remember seeing that Santa design - he looks fabulous!! All those cookies have me drooling and I love your library nook - that lounging chair looks solo comfy!! Have really been looking forward to this open house of yours and as usual, you outdo yourself each year!! Laura

    ReplyDelete
  11. The owl and Santa is so beautiful. Your house is so welcoming. My goodness, that is a lot of cookies. I am late to the party. Covid is no fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww, shoot! I'll have to play catch up on your Open House! The cookies look divine😍

    ReplyDelete