20 December 2023

Dear Santa: Day Three

 

Today's Santa is Jolly Old Elf from the Leisure Arts booklet Jolly Santas in Cross Stitch. This is the only Santa that wasn't already in my stash when I chose this year's theme. I stumbled across him while looking for something else and couldn't resist his sweet face and tiny Chickadee friend. I stitched him with the recommended DMC on Weeks 32 count Red Pear linen, and omitted the toy.



I love the red on red on red: red Santa, reddish fabric, red frame.  A note about the fabric, though. When looking at this fabric on a computer monitor, or even in hand with nothing stitched on it, it looks very, very pink. I don't think I would have considered it for this design if I didn't already have some in my stash to experiment with. When paired with red floss, it reads as a weathered or faded red, which I really like.

*****
It's almost Cookie Drop-In time! Let's have a look at final preparations. 

Self-serve coffee/cocoa/hot punch bar. I used my mom's Percolator Punch recipe, which I was raised on and remains a cold weather staple at our house. When we offered it to the troops, everyone said, "Hot punch?" They then proceeded to swig four batches! It's that good!





*****
The old favorite recipe of the day is Mexican Wedding cookies. These are a Christmas classic, and a cross-cultural cookie, with the same recipe known by different names in different cultures. We're from Texas, so to us, these are Mexican Wedding cookies. And they're fabulous.

I also tried a new Chocolate Chip cookie recipe this year and they were a hit! Lovely and soft.

*****
Tomorrow is party day! Skip lunch and spoil your supper with cookies!

14 comments:

  1. What a beautiful Santa you stitched! He goes well with the Santa figurine you have. Thanks for the link to the percolator punch. The cookies look incredible. I think I gained a few pounds just looking at their pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That’s a nice jolly Santa. My mom used to make the same cookies, but she was from the Northeast, so they were snowballs (one of my favorites). Patti

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful Santa with his little chickadee! It looks fabulous on that fabric. I love your idea of using candy canes as labels for your cookies. Everything looks so beautiful and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love your Santa on that red fabric! I love red, so……but the reds in your final piece all complement one another. Is he stitched 2 over 2? It is very good coverage. I love your blog! Carol in Texas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carol. Two over two, fully railroaded.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful Santa!!! As always, beautiful stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The punch recipe sounds intriguing. I just may need to try it.
    I love the Santa . I like the "pink" fabric . It all goes together wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a gorgeous Santa! And I love the little chickadee too. I haven't stitched with a lot of pink or red fabric, but I really like the one you used. My family always made Mexican Wedding cookies- they're delicious. The hot punch sounds wonderful, too.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Santa on red - would have never thought to do that - he looks awesome!! And I love how the stacks of striped cups look like elf legs with the dark lids as feet (could just be me with my winky eyesight)! Such a fun gathering with everything so yummy looking!! Should warn people to wear elastic waist pants lol!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your Santa. Looks so nice. And on red, great idea. The cookies look yummy. Mmmmh. The Mexican Weddings are called Peppernuts at my house.
    Merry Christmas to you.
    Greetings, Gabi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Santa is wonderful on the red fabric.
    Love your beverage bar, so inviting.
    I make those cookies every year, & have always called them Mexican Wedding Cakes.
    My recipe is from an old Electric Company cookie book.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely Santa, as soon as I saw him I thought Jolly Old Elf. Mexican Wedding Cookies are one of my favorite....oooo...chocolate chip. :o}

    ReplyDelete
  12. I call them Mexican Wedding cookies too. I didn't bake any this Christmas but I just got done cooling down 3 loaves of Pumpkin Bread with Cranberries. Enjoying your Open House🎄

    ReplyDelete