30 December 2022

A Year of Winter



So here I am, watching a heavy tropical rain fall on the palm trees in my yard on a nearly-70-degree day, drinking our traditional hot punch and really missing winter. Y'all know I am a fall and winter girl. If you've been here a while, you also know that the week between Christmas and New Year's Day is my Stitchy Planning Week, a week when I leisurely play in my stash and plan my projects for the coming year. A few weeks ago, I decided I would stitch winter all year next year. Shortly thereafter, this Winter Sampler (which I've been anticipating from the designer for several years) came out, and I was so thrilled with how beautiful it turned out. I took the timing as confirmation that next year is, indeed, a Year of Winter for me. I figure it will either be a source of comfort, or I'll get so sick of winter I'll be able to cope with its absence better. Either way, I win.

I collected half a dozen other winter designs I want to stitch and organized them into one of these presentation books that I use for everything, including my inventory. My Stitchy Planning Week has been somewhat abbreviated, what with travel and wee ones and such, but Mr. Wonderful is on baby duty so I do have some time to get things together. Hopefully I'll be able to have a brand new start for New Year's Day.

If winter is not your cup of tea, never fear. I'll still be sharing my stitchy finds, good recipes, and of course, kitten pics. And you never know when I'll get distracted and have to stitch a spring bunny or a fall pumpkin or something. I may even actually have some non-winter finishing and framing to share at some point. I've also kicked around the idea of just blathering about what I've learned in 35 years of stitching, why I do things the way I do them, why I break the stitching "rules" I break, why I'm still blogging, etc. (Topic suggestions for my blathering welcome!)


Speaking of blogging, this post closes out 10 years for me. I don't plan to go anywhere. It seems blogging is fading away, as people choose faster and shorter means of communication over slower and longer. That's how we lost letters. But as long as the platform cooperates with me, and I'm able, I intend to just muddle along, showing my stitching and my cats and whatever else takes my fancy. I appreciate those of you who appreciate what I do, who value slower and longer, and take the time to read, and look, and comment. I haven't been able to keep up with blogs other than my own this year, but hopefully the new year will be a better one. It feels like we're just off over here in a cozy little corner, doing our own thing, while everyone else races by. I intend to keep it cozy as long as I can.

Wishing you many blessings in the New Year, may it be better than the last, and may you have oodles of finishes! 




40 comments:

  1. So happy to hear you plan on continuing blogging. I love your words and pictures. Wishing you the happiest of New Years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am so happy to hear you plan to continue blogging! Normally, I love the holiday season and all but this year, I am craving quiet, simple times - like after a heavy snowfall, when everything seems still and fresh. I think I will definitely appreciate your year of Winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Laura, I'm so glad. We'll be wintry together.

      Delete
  3. So glad you are continuing your blog - it is always an inspiration. All the best for a wonderful wintry new year! ~Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoy visiting your blog, thank you for continuing for those of us who prefer to stay away from other forms of social media - I love your choice of stitchy items and of course your beautiful kittens are an added bonus, also I love foxes and like that you have them around in various forms. Have a good end of year and a lovely winter one going forward.
    Happy days - Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also love Winter, that sounds like a good plan.
    The Sampler is too cute.
    I'm glad you are still going to blog.
    I do watch some flosstube, but some of them are just too long for me, I don't care for that.
    Wishing you a Happy, Healthy New Year!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoy your blog very much! So Thank You for continuing on !
    Have a happy and blessed New Year!
    Darlene N

    ReplyDelete
  7. I, for one, am happy to hear that you will be continuing to blog. I always enjoy reading what you are up to and being able to see your extremely well-done cross stitch. It's a good day for me when you have a new post and now it's fun seeing what the cats are up to, so a big "thumbs up" from my Kentucky home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In reverse order, I love the Christmas card you featured in the last picture. I am thankful and blessed that you continue to blog about stitching, the floofers, and whatever else you wish to blather (great word) on about. I have learned much by reading your blog and it is refreshing to know that there is someone else out there who "breakfs" stitching rules. I am looking forward to your year of winter, Honeybee. Wishing you a peaceful end to 2022 and a great beginning to 2023.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always enjoy reading your blog and I too will be muddling along with my own blog. I like reading the posts rather than just quickly seeing photos. I like the winter sampler that even includes a fox. There have been way to many people around my house this past week for me to record any stitching/crafting plans, but I am have a post started for during the week. I have to find all of the items I plan to work on and photograph them if necessary. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Off to find your blog! Happy New Year, Cathie!

      Delete
  10. Happy New Year! So happy you will continue blogging. I'm looking forward to reading about kitten antics.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A year of winter sounds like a lovely idea (and thanks for the link, what a pretty sampler!) I am very happy that you plan to continue blogging - I've learned a lot from you, and I love seeing your stitching and new stitchy finds, too. And I also look forward to seeing photos of the kittens. I hope the coming year is better, and I wish you a blessed, peaceful, happy, and healthy 2023. Happy New Year!
    Mary ( Bluebird)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sounds lovely, but then I have always loved your blog. So anything you do will be wonderful. After living over 20 in Texas we moved to TN and we had a white Christmas first one I have ever enjoyed. Love having 4 seasons. I hope the New Year for you is filled with joy. God bless Mr. Wonderful, your fur babies and you

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok, you've inspired me to try to resurrect my blog! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your beautiful stitching and pictures of those adorable little stinkers that own you.
    Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy New Year Honeybee! I’ve been reading your blog since 2015 and love it! Very happy to hear that you’ll be continuing and looking forward to your year of winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for being here all these years, Nicky! Happy New Year!

      Delete
  15. Happy New Year, Honeybee! I think I know why you're still blogging! I came back for maybe the same reason. I'm about to do a marathon read of your blog and just wanted to drop in. I also made a recipe you had up for an open house week in 2016, Black-eyed Peas and Ham. Made it new years eve but ate some the next day. It's delicious and very filing! It fit very well in my 4 or 5 qt crock pot. I hope you'll continue to blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelly! Hi, sweetie! So glad to hear you're back and glad you liked the recipe. I made it New Year's Eve, too. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  16. I'm so glad to hear you are going to continue blogging! Yours is one of my favorites! I still read a lot of blogs. Happy new year and hugs to the kitties!~~

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy New Year! I LOVE reading your blog. It brings me peace. I want to get to know your new family as well as Tiger Lily, she had my heart. Please keep blogging! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy New Year! Thank you for keeping up blogging. It's a wonderful, slow and steady means of communication, and that's a big part of it's charm. Can't wait to see your year of winter stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Blessed New Year Honeybee: This is a lovely post, I am looking forward to seeing the winter designs you will be working on.
    It has snowed here for three days and more coming.
    Thank-you for the recipe it sounds yummy.
    Blondie the Cat sends love to your sweet fur babies.
    Have a wonderful day.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  20. I too, am so happy you will continue your blog. I love reading it, and I love the peaceful way you write. I love winter too, and lived in an area for a few years without snow. Missed it terribly. Growing up in central New York, I just took snow for granted.
    Thank you and Happy New Year to you. Love your new family.

    ReplyDelete